Thursday, July 15, 2010

back to class

Well, we finally made it back to agility class. It was so nice to do agility without the pressure of being at a trial.

I decided to reward Oreo as often as possible, because I think he needs the frequent reinforcement after so much trialing lately. He's been running full courses, and nothing else, since May.

I brought some marinated lemon mustard chicken with me. I focused on rewarding him for contacts, tunnels and weaves, since those are the things that tend to slow him down in trials. I guess the only thing I didn't reward were jumps!

My teacher set up a game where you do ten obstacles, then she called out a color and you had to do one of two finishing courses, depending on which color cones she selected. Got you thinking on your toes.

Then, the second time, you got to run the other course. She had a name for the game, but I forget what it was.

Oreo had a good night. I was really happy with the speed of his weave poles, which tend to be ridiculously slow in trials.

On our last run, there were a lot of distractions. Some of our classmates took their dogs up to the pond for a swim, and my teacher's dogs were in the yard, and a lot of barking ensued. Oreo did stop to check out what the ruckus was all about. I like having the opportunity to work through the distractions though, especially in a non trial setting when I can reward right away.

My goal right now is to speed up his contact obstacles, by reducing the rubber necking he tends to do. I used my clicker a lot last night while he was on the down slope of the contacts.

IMAG0096

5 comments:

Deborah said...

Did you say you got chicken for a reward! YUMMY!!!
I'm glad Oreo had a good night!
Have a great day!
xxoo
Deborah

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sounds like your class went well and provided you with lots of opportunities to reward Oreo! It must've been tough not to eat the lemon mustard chicken yourself! LOL!

Diana said...

Sounds like you did a very good job. Diana

Kathy said...

I really think it is hard on a dogs speed when they mostly are doing full courses....really wise to do a lot of rewarding and clicking for speed at class!!! Sounds like some excellent training ;-) and an excellent class.

LauraK said...

Haha your comment about rubber necking made me laugh :)

Sounds like you worked on a lot of great things last night- I wish we played fun games in our class to keep us on our toes! Yay for Oreo working through all of those distractions!