Saturday, May 15, 2010

random thoughts on pet injuries & a big thank you

Oreo continues to do really well physically, and mentally too. I've stopped holding my breath every time he jumps, runs, and twists. I have confidence that he is strong, healed, and ready to go. His spirit is hysterical. After months of restraint, I forgot how much energy, pep, and enthusiasm he has for life! What a joy.

Now that we are back into the swing of life I have some random thoughts on pet injuries/rehab:

  1. taking a break from a sport for 3 months can be a good thing
  2. 3 months goes by FAST
  3. dogs adapt to a new lifestyle relatively easily
  4. dogs go back to their old lifestyle even more easily
  5. great new people come into your life, ex. doctors, vet techs, etc.
  6. you learn lots of new, valuable information
  7. you try new things, that may change your life, like acupuncture!
  8. injuries heal
  9. worrying is a waste of time
  10. my crazy dog is likely to get hurt again in the future, now I'll be more prepared on steps to take

Overall, this has been a positive experience. A rewarding experience.


Strange?


I wish Oreo had never been hurt, but I feel he is going to lead a better life as a result.

I owe some people a huge thank you. Diana and Kathy were the ones who encouraged me to bring Oreo to rehab. I am so glad you did, because I'm not sure where we would be now if we hadn't taken that step. My mom was the person who did the googling and found the rehab vet for me. She should have been a detective, rather than an accountant. Jules encouraged me to try acupuncture, which has been amazing.

Thanks to everyone who has supported and rooted for us throughout this entire process. I couldn't have done it without you all! Really! You guys are the best.

Onto the next phase! We have begun adding some speed to our training....Oreo has been running at mach speed while playing, so I figured we'd put it to use in agility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQ0lf2Fo4I



Tomorrow.... we raise up the jumps.

10 comments:

betty said...

Oreo is bursting with energy and joy. His heart beats happiness. Your smile is big and contagious.
We smile with you.

Priscilla said...

I'm so glad everything is great with you and Oreo. Have fun doing agility again!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

All we have to say is "WooHoo!!!!"

Dawn said...

WOW! I think you were worn out way before Oreo was! What a boy, he's so happy to be back!! And it's a thrill to watch him.

Kathy said...

I really have similar feelings about injuries, and it is amazing how fast time flies. Oreo really looks terrific, and you deserve a BIG SHOUT for being such a good dog mommy and taking Oreo to rehab and being so dedicated to getting your buddy back at 100%,...rehab is a LOT of work-you sure know that, LOL, and you guys really worked as a team and I am sure that is why Oreo did so wonderfully. It has to make you feel so good to see how FANTASTIC he looks, he really looks strong and sound.

Sam said...

He looks awesome. It's great that you're thinking on the positive side about Oreo's injury! I think you're right - I bet his body is stronger than ever before.

Diana said...

WhooHoo, that gave me goose bumps. Diana

LauraK said...

I think it's so great that you have such a positive attitude about this experience. And I think you and Oreo are going to come back in to competing on fire! Yay!

I definitely think that the month and a half that Riley and took off was very beneficial for us too. NOT that I want another injury to deal with, but it was good for us mentally to take a break from agility. I'm so happy for you two!

Marie said...

Love your perspective on this experience. It's really great that you can look back on this in such a positive way!

Oreo looked so happy in his video. :-)

Lian said...

I feel exactly the same like you when Sing had his injury. I've learned so much and friends continue giving me advice and information all the time. I feel so touch when people around me care for me and my dog. I was totally helpless at one point but with all the therapy/massage we are having and supplements, Sing is getting stronger each day. That gives me hope again. I am so happy for you that Oreo is now healthy and is enjoying his agility more than ever! He looks so happy and fast in the video!