Monday, May 31, 2010

lock 7

Jeff and I rode 16 miles on our bikes today. We made a stop at Lock 7. I've been there countless times, but I always find it so cool.

I took some photos to show you.

Lock 7 is in the Mohawk River. It raises/lowers boats due to a waterfall.

The boats start out at this level:


Then rise slowly:


Up to this level:


Cool, huh? Then, they open the HUGE doors. Listen:


At the lock, Jeff decided that we hadn't gone far enough, and made me do two extra miles (which equals 4 when you calculate the fact we had to go back to the car). He decided we needed to go to Blatnick Park. Basically, he made me go up a HUGE hill (Jeff is in training so he can keep up with my Dad, and avoid embarrassment). It was such a big hill, there were signs saying you should get off your bike and walk down it, because it was so steep. We didn't. We earned that downhill.

Oh yea, and there were kamikaze chipmunks everywhere! They were dodging across the bike path. I swear I ran over one's tail.



10 comments:

Diana said...

What a nice fun thing to do today. Its pouring rain here. Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Wait - nothing about Oreo or Misty?

Looks like you guys had a good time! Mom says she has nearly run over and actually did run over a kamikazee chipmunk when she used to bike a lot before she got me!

Priscilla said...

Wow! 16 miles? That's a long way! Well done on your big hill :)) You must feel so proud of yourselves!

LauraK said...

Wow! I'm impressed, that's a LONG bike ride! I was just thinking today that I need to start riding my bike now that the weather is nice. Hope you're having a nice memorial day weekend :)

Kathy said...

wow, that is a pretty intense way to spend your Memorial day! That uphill part of the ride sounds INTENSE! Glad you both made it home ok, LOL. That looks really neat with the boats, very cool.

new hip dad said...

good ride and glad you made it up and down that hill. Great view of the river from the top. I always get a little nervous near the bottom. I am sure jeff never touched his brakes. I rode with geoff today. I said, somewhere between 35 and 45. we did fifty. no extra charge for the mileage. we had to stop for water twice it was so hot. I was glad to finish.

Sara said...

Fifty is a lot! Especially considering you were dealing with thedeap south heat.

AC said...

What a great way to spend a holiday. I can't believe your hill cautioned to walk bikes down it. That's one steep hill!

Watch out for those chipmunks. I had a friend get in a nasty crash with a squirrel. The squirrel ran off up a tree after the whole ordeal. The little monster was in better shape than my friend!

Dawn said...

Wow! An Excellent Adventure! Thanks for the video of the locks...though I had to listen to it without sound...cause you know who is sleeping...spoiled princess.

Great bike ride!!!

Lian said...

WOW! 16 miles of cycling! I bet you have lots of fun. I will miss my dogs though!