Tuesday, April 20, 2010

tricky t-day ~ tissue clean up

Jeff & I were both sick with a cold last week. Tissues were piling up everywhere.

When I was a kid, I would throw my used tissues on the floor. My over indulgent dad would always pick them up and throw them away for me.

Now, I have to pick them up myself.

Or do I?

That's right. I have dogs. One of these dogs LOVES to get his teeth on my tissues. He is interested in shredding them. Could I use this obsession to my advantage?

Let's see what happened on my first try.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic4Gb2ULbiM


Oreo, Misty & I went to an agility class last night...outside! Pulling into the field, Oreo started crying. He never does that.

I felt like I had come back home. I didn't realize how much I missed being there.

My teacher's husband put some weave poles outside the ring for Oreo to use, and got me one of his border collies, who runs a lot like Oreo, to run.

It was fun to walk a course. It has been months since I have walked a course. I haven't gotten any better at remembering them, but I didn't care. I wasn't there to perfect my game.

I ran the course with my teacher's dog a couple times. She was a good sport, tolerating my rusty handling and following along with me.

I did bring Oreo in the ring once, and he seemed at home too. No nervous jitters, like the first time last year at the outdoor field. I sent him in a tunnel, and he went in happily. He did some poles, a couple tunnels, and snuck a jump in. That's when I realized it was time to take him out, and just reward him for being there. Listening to the cows "moo" in the distance.

I drove home, watching the sunset as we wound our way down the mountain. I forgot how a night at agility class gives me such a sense of peace. At least for a couple hours.

16 comments:

Gerry said...

This was so cute. Wednesday my son is leaving for Utah where he lives and is going to bring Baby, his dog, by for me to see her again. And take photos of her. You will be able to see them in my blog. I just found your blog through Connie. I believe that Baby is a border collie with some Australian heeler in her. I will have to ask him again when I see her. My son loves this dog. They live in southern Utah. I like to come by and see the photos and watch the videos and read what you are saying.

LauraK said...

That's awesome! What a useful trick, especially when you're sick- have Oreo take care of you :) He's such a smart boy, and you always have the perfect songs for your videos, I love it!

And yes, reading AC's blog always makes me want to go run a million miles- so inspiring! Maybe someday I can work up to that :)

Priscilla said...

Glad you had a good time in agility. You must have really missed it a lot, and I bet Oreo did too.

That is such a neat trick! I still don't understand why Oreo would prefer putting tissues in the bin, while he could have the best time of his life eating it. :D

Diana said...

Thats sounds so nice. Im glad you got to go back to class and you have such nice teachers. It sounded like a very peaceful end to the day. Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Awesome trick - how did you teach Oreo to put the tissue in the bin?

You do have really nice and thoughtful agility teachers! How cool that Oreo was excited to be at the class and didn't seem stressed or nervous or anything! Soon he'll be back for real!

Mom loves classes too - it gets her mind off everything else.

Sara said...

I didn't have to teach Oreo the trick. He just did it. I think it was so similar to the basketball trick, he made the corelation himself.

Joan said...

I noticed the "female" wasn't picking up after you. Good job Misty! Give her a treat from me.
...Mom

AC said...

So glad you got to go to agility! Yah Oreo for having such a good time. That would be a situation where I'd be worried how Kona would respond-if we hadn't been somewhere for a long time. But Oreo had fun!! Such good news! It's always nice to have something that lets you relax, even if it's only a few hours...

Kathy said...

Sounds like a great night, I know what you mean about the sense of peace going for an evening of hanging out with your dogs and doing something fun, I sure miss it when I have had to be away...

Glad you are getting the dogs to work, LOL, I keep telling mine they need to get going and earn their treats, LOL. Excellent work on the tissues

Sam said...

I love useful tricks! Oreo looks like he's really in to this one.

I'm also really glad you got to go back to agility! Was Oreo's whining a good thing? Marge did that last week when we first went back to the field -- I like to think of it as her being excited after being away from there for so long!

Sara said...

Sam,
I think it was a good thing. Usually if he is really nervous or scared, he gets either very quiet or barks maniacally. This seemed more like a sense of excitement.

madcobug said...

Cute video. You can teach that Oreo to do anything. Glad that you and he had a good time at the agility class. Helen

Connie said...

That is so neat to teach them to throw away your used (yuckkk) tissues...now give mommy a big kiss..no wait...wipe your mouth off first Oreo,hee hee

Dawn said...

Ahhh just got a chance to watch the tissue video! SO CUTE! Funny, but when I pull tissue Katie barks and lunges at me, because she associates tissue with sneezing which she HATES!

Marie said...

I was so excited to see Oreo's trick. Dare does a trick where if I sneeze, she'll bring me the tissue, but I want her to take it to the trash, and I can't figure out how to teach that. LOL Funny how one part of a trick just comes naturally to the dogs, and other parts are so difficult.

Honey the Great Dane said...

Hee! hee! When I read the title of this post, I thought the trick was to bring you a tissue when you sneezed and I was thinking, "You'd never try that if you had a slobbery dog like Honey!" :-) - but of course, your version makes much more sense!

Hsin-Yi