Thursday, April 1, 2010

Oreo Update


Oreo has been doing really well. A week ago, I started weaning him off his deramaxx (antiinflamatory), and tonight will be his last dose. I'm hoping he doesn't need to go back on it again.

I haven't seen any limping in almost two weeks. Plus, I have been gradually increasing his activity level.

I am keeping a notebook with activities and times listed (I have a stopwatch in my pocket all the time), just in case a limp returns. Then, I will know how much I need to cut back. However, I'm hoping I don't have to take any backward steps.

Even with a few uncontrollable bursts of "zoomies" and an occasional, sneaky bed jump, Oreo is still showing signs of improvement and bearing more weight on that leg.

Oreo is enjoying doing his weave poles in the yard. I don't even have to give him treats or a toy. He just goes around in the circle....weave, walk over jump bars, weave, walk over jump bars..... over and over, for about 3 minutes.

My spring break starts tomorrow, so I will have lots of time to spend stretching, strengthening, heating, exercising, and icing!


Still waiting to hear the orthopedic surgeon's opinion about Oreo's X-ray.....

I'll try and get some photos or video of Oreo in the water treadmill on Saturday.

15 comments:

Priscilla said...

Hi Sara,

That's great! I'm so glad Oreo's leg is showing signs of improvement and he's not limping. Let's hope we don't jinx that!
can't wait to see pics of him swimming and on the treadmill!!!!!

Diana said...

WhooHoo, Im so happy things are getting better!!! Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Fantastic news!!! I am so very glad to hear that Oreo is improving and you don't even see him limping any more! Thanks for making my day!

Jules said...

Yay!! I am so glad he continues to show signs of improvement. Awesome news.

Sam said...

This is great news! I'm so happy that going to the rehab vet helped. I can't wait for him to be back in action - I miss seeing his agility videos!

Honey the Great Dane said...

Great to hear that Oreo's improving so much! And can't wait to see that water treadmill picture!

Rohan Shelties said...

Good job Oreo and GREAT job Mom! I really struggled with Heidis lameness a few years ago...it was hard to tell her "no"! Just a funny note about Heidi's experience in the UWT-she kept stretching her gait every 8-10 steps and the PT couldnt figure out why...she was stepping over the black line (the seam) of the treadmill band! The PT said she had never seen a dog do that before...leave it to a Sheltie to notice it under her feet!

Best of luck, and fingers crossed!
Jenn, Heidi and Shelby

Rohan Shelties said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy said...

What a good boy it sounds like Oreo is being, just enough naughtiness and sneaking in a bed jump so we know he is himself, but co operating otherwise. everything sounds really great. tell him we are really proud of how good he is being and tell him we are proud of his mom for taking such good care of him.

madcobug said...

Sounds as if Oreo is improving greatly. Good luck on the water treadmill tomorrow. Helen

Dawn said...

BIG hug to Oreo! In the picture I think he is saying "Come ON Mom! No more pictures, let's PLAY!"

AC said...

Such good news! It's been a long process and it must feel good to see improvements. That's a great idea to keep a journal of Oreo's activity.

I hope you're able to have some and get some rest over your holiday!

Bob said...

Hi Sara, thats good new then, its horrible when your dog is ill, I would rather it be me. I hope you have a good easter. Bob.

LauraK said...

That's wonderful that he is doing better! You are a great dog mom keeping a journal- such dedication. I'm sure they will love having you home for a week :)

Nicki said...

Glad he's doing well!