Saturday, March 6, 2010

two more weeks


The good news is the swelling in Oreo's quads has diminished substantially. The bad news, he still has swelling around his knee. However, his knee is nice and tight. The vet wants to keep it that way. Therefore, we have two more weeks of rest, to help it heal and prevent any tears.

Afterwards, hopefully, we will be able to start a retraining program. We will then gradually increase strength in that hind leg.

I'm lucky to have a vet who does agility, so she knows what movements I need Oreo to be able to do.

My vet doesn't think we'll be able to do our Tea Cup trial in April. She is concerned about the tight turns that teacup tends to use on their courses. It would be too risky. We will have to do straight line sequences for awhile. DOCNA should be fine in May, since their obstacles are spread out and the courses usually have a good flow.

I'm kinda bummed out. Oreo is too. Let's not forget Misty. I hope these next two weeks do the trick, and we can finally add some activity to our lives. The weather is starting to break, and we can't even get out there and enjoy it.

After our appointment, I took both dogs to agility school and we watched a beginner's class. That was fun. I forgot all that stuff you do at the beginning. Oreo took treats from a few people, and raised his lip to a dog who got in his face. That's when I decided we wouldn't stay long, since Oreo'd already had a long morning.

Next Saturday is our last league match. We'll go hang out at that too.

15 comments:

Dawn said...

My first thought when I saw the title of this blog entry was "Oh NO!" Poor little Oreo! He's going to be so sad to have to stay quiet for two more weeks. But he's such a good boy that maybe the time will fly by. Right. Probably not. Hope you can at least do some walking outside now that the weather is breaking? We have 40 degrees and sunshine, I'll send it over your way.

Kathy said...

Well, I am glad things are going in the right direction, although I am sure at this point in time two weeks seems like a long time after you guys have already been on activity restrictions, and then knowing you will not be able to go straight back to normal activity has to be a little sad and disappointing, but I bet you are learning so much which will be so valuable in keeping Oreo healthy in the future ;-D. I am really glad that Oreo is looking better and there is an end in sight for this whole episode.

Sara said...

Dawn,
No, we're not even allowed outside walking right now. Too risky that he may step in a hole, on a rock, etc.....

Oh well, he can always find a sunbeam to lay in...that's what Misty is doing right now.

betty said...

Oreo is young and healthy and loved and getting the very best care. He will heal beautifully and be ready for the fun in May. You must be calm, so that Oreo can be calm. He is too smart to forget the runs and tricks that he loves to race through. Big Aloha.

AC said...

Oh man. I'm bummed for you guys. It's just no fun to be pent up. I'm bad with giving myself enough time to rest. That's why I'm stuck running in a massive ankle brace. Had I given myself time to heal, I wouldn't have reinjured my joint to where it's at.
Can Oreo run/walk inside? Would inside tunnel running be too much?

I hope you able to find ways to use up some of that energy.

Diana said...

Im glad Oreo is showing improvement. Sorry you guys have to keep resting. Resting is so torturous for everyone. Thats how you know you are really addicted to agility. LoL Remember 2 weeks vs lifetime. Thats usually helps me for a few minutes. LoL Diana

Sara said...

Diana,
You're right. I don't want to have to go through this again, so I want him healed up properly..for good.

AC,
The vet said we can "walk" in the house. She really doesn't want him doing any running. I've been following Oreo around the house, while he has a ball in his mouth. He seems to find that entertaining!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sara - sorry to get the news about two more weeks of rest! Gosh, that will seem like forever. But glad to know Oreo is healing and that you are working with a good vet who knows what you need to do for an agility dog. The weather is improving but it's so muddy now. Maybe it'll be perfect by the time Oreo can get out there again! Hang in there!

Dawn said...

So how do you keep him from going crazy when he goes out in the backyard to do his business?

Sara said...

A leash, and lots of "slow down!"'s.

madcobug said...

What a shame and he looks so hopeful in that picture. Hope things heal like they should and he can soon get back on par. Helen

Sam said...

Just think - you got through the first part of this whole thing, and you'll certainly get through the second! This sounds like pretty good news - Oreo is on the mend. I think all of the exposure at these events is doing him really good, too, and he'll be able to get back into agility without any effort.

Priscilla said...

I'm glad Oreo's swelling has diminished. At least your vet knows what Oreo can and can't do in agility. I'm sure his knee will be better soon.

Honey the Great Dane said...

Glad to hear the good news although shame it's still going to take a while! I know how frustrated you & Oreo must be! Maybe you could use this time to teach him some "immobile" tricks? (eg. counting by barking, looking up on cue or L & R, etc, etc)

Hsin-Yi

Jules said...

I am glad to hear the swelling has gone down. Your vet sounds like a keeper. Good luck with the next two weeks. Hopefully they will pass in a flash.