Tuesday, February 2, 2010

tricky t-day~ forward/scoot

Oreo & I have been working on this potential dance move for a few weeks. For the "forward" part, I began by sending him to an extended target stick. I'm trying to fade the stick and just use my index finger. He's still not going quite as far ahead as he will with the target stick. So, we keep going back and forth between the two.

I just started teaching Misty the trick using the same method, although I have to move much slower with Misty. If I send her too far ahead, she flips around, rather than walking backward.

Notice how Oreo sits politely sometimes while I'm working with Misty. This is yet another "trick" we've been working on, as I grew tired of him nipping at Misty's tail or ankle while he was circling. He's made huge progress in that department.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq8d1ThLBgE

11 comments:

Dawn said...

Great trick! Watching it silently now as it's so early in the a.m. and Katie is not feeling well. I think Misty gets it, just doesn't see the purpose in going out so far! LOL! Oreo is learning stuff really fast! Especially like the sitting patiently (or as patiently as he can) while you work with Misty!

Diana said...

Your dogs are so smart. Great job, they are both doing well. Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I love Tuesdays and starting my day with your tricky t-day video! I'm always smiling all the way through it and afterwards!

Fun trick - Oreo is so cute doing it! I get going backwards in a curve sometimes too and then just can't stop either! And Misty is doing well too! I agree she doesn't see the need to go very far - why expend the extra energy when she knows she can get a treat with a few steps! Smart girl!

Jules said...

Wow, very nice. Even more impressive to me is the work you have done on getting Oreo to chill while Misty is working. Click to you all!

LauraK said...

I'm impressed! That's probably REALLY good for his rear end awareness too. Misty is such a cutie :) That's great that Oreo is getting good at self-control too, great skill to have! You're so good with your dogs!

AC said...

So much fun! I love both Oreo and Misty's focus. I'm motivated to get working with Kona now! (Although I don't know if she'll have as much patients for me.)

Lian said...

WOW! Well done! That look amazing!

Priscilla said...

What a neat trick, Oreo!
And misty is such a cute lil baby!!!!

Kathy said...

whooo hoooooo!!! TERRIFIC, looks like a lot of fun!

madcobug said...

They both did great. Oreo has learned how to do it really fast. Helen

Honey the Great Dane said...

Misty - I'm glad you're always in the videos to make me feel more "normal" after watching Oreo's amazing superdog performances!! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane