Sunday, February 28, 2010

something for Josie & our league match

FOR JOSIE:Oreo says, "Josie, us one ear up/one ear down dogs have to stick together. I'm crossing my paws with you for your friends John & Gert. My mom just wasn't very good at capturing it on film."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oreo & I trekked out in the snow to the league match yesterday. We hung out watching the other dogs run for about 1 1/2 hours. I think it was good for Oreo. He was generally relaxed, and took treats from me the whole time. His most nervous moment was in the doorway, where dogs were coming in/out.

My teacher's husband held Oreo's leash while I filmed my teacher's run. Oreo was fine with that and even let him pet him, without shying away. My teacher's husband said that it made his day. He said to Oreo, "We're gonna get you to come around one of these days Oreo."

It's always nice when other people see signs of improvement in your dog's demeanor.

It was kind of a bummer not being able to run, but I think we accomplished a lot just by hanging out. Perhaps we accomplished even more than we would have if Oreo had 4 good legs.

If Oreo's not better by our next match (the last match of the season), I'll probably do the same thing. Exposure is good.

Here's a short video I took of Oreo taking in the sights. Boy is he alert to all the sights and sounds, but he does turn & look at me when I say "hey". The fact that Oreo wasn't jumping on my lap, or hiding under my chair, were all good signs!

video

Yesterday, I did start noticing some signs of improvement in Oreo's stance. I also did not see any limping at all. I was able to hot pack him twice, whereas I was only doing it once a day during the work week.

10 comments:

Priscilla said...

Sounds like Oreo is so much better in the whole shying away thing and what it's great that he is still alert towards your voice. What a good boy :)
I'm glad he's getting better in his walking too :)

The paw khrossing is so adorable xD

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Glad to hear you are starting to see signs of improvement with Oreo! He seems to have done really well at the league match - I went to tons of agility trials when I was little and just hung out. We're not sure if it helped me or not, but it was fun!

Dawn said...

I think exposure is good too. I felt that even if Katie and I NQ'd Friday we'd still have the benefit of her being exposed for several hours to noise and dogs and people. She was going up to people to see if they had good treats about half way through our wait. She never TOOK any treats, but she was exploring. And she let a few people pet her and one actually hugged her and Katie didn't shy away! Progress!

Good job Oreo, life is so much more fun when you're not frightened! Love those ears! Sheltie ears are amazing, how they move all directions following the sound!

Glad he's feeling better!

LauraK said...

That's great that you were able to make it out there :) It's always the little accomplishments that count- good for Oreo for being brave and letting someone hold his leash!

madcobug said...

Great picture. He did good with that noise level. Boy was it loud at times. That would make me nervous also. Helen

Kathy said...

Glad Oreo has a good league experience, it sounds fabulous. I love the one ear up one ear slightly tipped Oreo has, they are WONDERFUL. Glad he is looking better physically!

Jules said...

Good for you taking advanatge of an oppotunity to cc him. I am glad he had such a positive experience.

yudis said...

great and nice to meet you josi :D

Diana said...

What a great idea to take Oreo to the match. Im glad he is getting better. I dont know if you have ever tried "Rescue Remedy" but its worth a shot. You give 2 drops morning and night and start a couple of days before a trial. I add it to Mileys food. She hasnt been as crazy at the trials. No circling when mistakes are made. Im not sure if it is the rescue remedy or what. I have been trying to practice not letting her circle me at the field or at home. But who knows. Diana

Sara said...

Diana,
I am trying out a new flower rememdy that is similar to bach's. If it doesn't seem to do much, I will try bach's next!