Saturday, February 27, 2010

one week down

We've survived one week of "no jumping", or at least minimal jumping. Oreo still sneaks a jump in now and then.

My vet had their power restored around 11:30AM Thursday, so I was able to bring Oreo in for his laser therapy after school. We'll go back again on Monday.

We've been doing a lot of "mat work" with his Barking Dogs blanket from our Aunt Betty in Hawaii. It is really helping to keep him from jumping. I didn't realize how much of a jumper he was until this past week.

The good news, I think by the end of this rehab, I may have both dogs desensitized to the garage door going up & down! Now, wouldn't that be nice?

I was also able to change my sheets on the bed, without having Oreo get made into the bed as well. Hiding under the covers, then jumping around and making a mess of them is one of his favorite games. This week, I put his "mat" on the floor, and he laid there while I made the bed! It was a real time saver. Although, I kind of missed my playful little buddy's game.

Here's an old video of his bed making antics:


Oreo still off loads weight to his left leg a lot. That is a bit worrisome. I hope it doesn't mean we will need additional downtime after next week. I was hoping for more improvement by this point. I'm guess I'm being impatient. This is the first time I've ever had a dog with an injury like this, so I don't really know what to expect time wise.

It is hard to turn him down when he really wants to play. I feel like I'm breaking his spirit.

There is a league match today. I had planned on attending to do a bit of socialization, but we got some more snow last night and it is still coming down. If the roads get cleared within a few hours, and the meet isn't cancelled, we'll head over for a little while. I have a feeling not many people will be there, as some have to travel long distances.

12 comments:

Priscilla said...

I couldn't stop laughing while watching the video! He is too cute! Does he think you can't see him :) LOL

Just one more week to go. Poor guy ....

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Keeping an active dog quiet to recover from an injury is one of the hardest things - keep reminding yourself that you're helping Oreo to heal not breaking his spirit. He will get better soon! Mom absolutely hates it when I am sick or injured (fortunately I have not been injured like Oreo - knock on wood). So we feel for you!

Cuter than cute video!

Dawn said...

Ahhh...poor Oreo. He probably thinks you've taken all the fun out of things! On the other hand, all that mat work is bound to be useful for many things, some you haven't even thought of yet! I'm sure his old spirit will be back as soon as he's able to run free. But it sure is hard right now!

AC said...

It's so tough to see our pups not in perfect health. I had such a hard time having to turn Kona down for play and "outside time" for her three days of busted toes this week. I think it does damper a dogs mood when they don't get the activity they normally do, but like Ricky said, you're helping him heal.

I hope you both hang in there and find ways to keep Oreo's spirits up. Maybe you can make a bed on the floor that Oreo can help you make...He does look like a professional bed maker =)

Sam said...

It sounds like you're dealing as well as you can. I hope that by the end if the week he's not favoring the leg and is back to 100 percent. :)

LauraK said...

Glad you all made it through a week! Riley just came up limping again, so I think we're going to take a full month off of agility. It's so hard trying to have them understand why we're not playing or going for walks- they just give you those sad eyes and you feel like such a bad dog mom! Hope you can make it to your league match for some fun :)

Lian said...

Sorry, just tried to catch up all your posts. Sorry to hear Oreo had to keep quiet for two weeks, for an active dog like him is not easy, I know the feeling.

Hope he soon recovers and is allow to jump again.

Big hug x

Kathy said...

Like everyone else said you will not be breaking Oreos spirit, we have dealt with this type of stuff a lot with our happy dogs here and they all bounce (no pun intended, LOL) back pretty easily emotionally, and you are restricting Oreo to help him ;-). I think the activity restriction really is harder on us then them, especially when he has such a good mom because I know you are doing all you can to keep him happy and occupied.

Honey the Great Dane said...

That's great about the "no-jumping" practice! Isn't funny sometimes how you get good training results out of something you weren't expecting? Given your noaml lives/routine, you would probably never taken the time to "sort out" his jumping tendency coz you learn to live with it - but this has gievn you a reason to focus on it and you can suddenly see all the benefits! Plus, I do think it is always important and good to teach dogs to be calm & settle in one place...especially active ones!! :-)

Hsin-Yi

Dad said...

I read it every day Sars.
I am glad that Dad & Mom will be home soon, Smile.
DAD

Diana said...

Even if you have to rest longer , keep in mind that a few more weeks of rest vs. permanant retirement. I know its hard on everyone but really the dogs forgets about it more quickly then we do. LoL.

Sara said...

You're so right Diana. It is getting easier, as we adjust to this new routine.