Thursday, February 18, 2010

misty is in trouble

I took both dogs to agility class last night.

I was talking to some classmates, thinking my dogs were waiting patiently in their pen, when all of a sudden Misty is standing beside me. She had jumped out of her pen. Again. I let her smell the other dogs, gave her some treats, mingle.

I said, "OK, you want to be out? Then, let's go do some agility."

I took her out on the course while they were changing bars, and she went thru a tunnel, went around a jump, then jumped on the table and did her marching trick. I tried to get her to do it again, but she really just wanted treats for looking pretty.

I put her back in the pen. It was Oreo's turn. We finished our run, I was focused on praising and treating him, when one of our new classmates said, "Umm, I have your dog here."

Huh?

Yep. Misty had jumped out of the pen. Again. This was after I had put a bunch of metal chairs all around it. How she got out, I have no clue.

I told her, "You're in trouble." I had to put her in the car for the rest of the night. I gave her a bunch of treats, and at the end of class, found her peacefully napping in the car.

Oreo did well. We practiced a gamblers/jackpot course. Oreo had absolutely no problem getting the gamble. I am always amazed at his ability to work at a distance. In fact, he always seems to speed up.

I got many opportunities to click/treat for distractions, and I remembered to take them.

On our last run, my teacher set up a nice, flowy, short numbered course.

Oreo stopped on top of the A-frame for a look around, I clicked and treated when he refocused. My teacher said, "Nice job." Oreo stopped to look at her. So, I clicked and treated after he refocused. Then, we were heading back toward the crowd. I decided to give him a treat before he reached his threshold "scary level". He saw the people, I treated, then we started running toward the people. He went over the jumps, passed by the people at regular speed with absolutely no problem. I gave him lots of verbal encouragement as we passed by.

We ended on the teeter facing the crowd. I got my treat out before he had a chance to look toward the people, and rewarded him after the tip. He focused on me the entire time.

Before that last run, Oreo & I had been hanging out by the doorway. I had been click/treating for tons of stuff....looking at people, looking at dogs, people coming in the door, etc. He looked, dare I say, relaxed. He was able to do some simple tricks, and I had been standing right next to my teacher's husband.

Overall, a good night for Oreo. And Misty, well, who knew she'd be the one leaping over tall walls.

13 comments:

Joan said...

What a good night for Oreo! And, Misty...I think she is ready for the Senior Agility Runs! MOM

Lian said...

WOW! That sounds like a great improvement for Oreo! Well done!

I have to laugh at Misty's behaviour. I think she wants attention too!

Dawn said...

A girl's got to expand her horizons, right Misty? Good job for getting Mom's attention! And great job Oreo, getting treats for looking at people!

Jules said...

Sara, it sounds like Oreo had an awesome night - forget good. hooray - all your hard work is paying off.

Silly Misty!

Priscilla said...

What a great improvement in Oreo. I'm sure he'll be able to do agility with a lot of people in a relaxed way soon.
And with misty, who knew she was such a naughty girl!

AC said...

Nice work! It sounds like treating before the scary thing really helped. That seems to help Kona also. For her, I think it has to do with breaking/preventing that moment of fixation that can cause her stress to rise.

Thanks for your comment about transition times. Giving that comparison to your students was a real light bulb moment for me. That makes a lot of sense and gives me something to work on.

Oh and Misty.. her little adventures made me smile =)

Brittany said...

It sounds like Oreo is making huge strides in being better around new people!

Misty, staying in your pen is so much better than being locked in the car for agility classes! Stay in your pen!

madcobug said...

Oh No! Not sweet Misty. Sounds as if Oreo is really doing good. Helen

Kathy said...

OOOH Misty, see she has a nice amount of naughty dog in her, good for her. LOL. Sounds like some awesome work on all your goals with Oreo, he is a smartie and sounds like he really catches on quickly

Ludo van Doggy said...

oh! Nice work Misty. lol! Doing her own agility there. She should get treats for looking pretty!
Sounds like Oreo did really well and all the c/r is really working.

Diana said...

My dogs wont stay in x-pens either. They just jump right out. Great job with Oreo. Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Great job with Oreo and the rate of reinforcement!! Sounds like your plan is really working well!

I am proud of Misty!! Why should Oreo get all the attention at class after all!

Josie said...

Sara,
Great description of class. I could see it all unfolding as I read your blog. The Misty event was just puzzling, though. You had me a bit worried when I first read the title of your post..don't do that..but glad all is well...Sounds like Oreo had a fantastic night and Misty, was a bit well, with dogs you never know..but just give her some loving. She is so cute. ;-)
Much Love,
Woof,
Josie