Sunday, February 21, 2010

I live with jumping beans

It is only day two...... aghhhhhhh!

It is impossible to keep Oreo from jumping. Impossible. So, I've decided to just try and limit the jumping as much as I can.

I put him on a leash in the house, like Kathy and Dawn had suggested, we walked past the bed, and Oreo was right up on top within a millisecond.

I get the clicker out......boing,boing, boing...

I say the word "outside".....boing,boing, boing.....

I'm trying to do calm tricks with Oreo to work his brain. Put him in a down. Cross his paws. Bang......boing....Oreo decides it is time to play leap frog with Misty, because that trick is much more fun.

Do you see what I'm up against?

Now, onto my other jumping bean, Misty. Josie has been asking what would make Misty jump out of her ex-pen at agility.

Well Josie, Misty has always been my shy, sweet, never gets into any trouble girl, with a nickname of "tank". When Misty wants something, she will push her way through until she gets it.

Hence, Misty wanted some treats from me. I wasn't by the pen to comply. She took matters into her own paws.


"Well mom, you shouldn't have taught us how to jump for joy, play leap frog, do agility, etc."

11 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Your description - "boing, boing, boing!" is just so funny!!! Hopefully a little restriction will go a long way to help Oreo to heal! I sure wouldn't want to be the one trying to keep him calm!

Priscilla said...

Oh no!
I agree with Ricky, your description of boing boing boing is HILARIOUS!

And Misty is such a sweet girl. All dogs have minds of their own :)

I think Oreo doesn't understand why he can't 'boing' around. Poor guy. Hope he gets better soon! He can't wait to do agility again!

Dawn said...

Boing!!!!! It's a one word description of Shelties! LOL! Good luck with this...for how long? Two weeks? I don't think so!

LauraK said...

I know how hard it is to keep an agility dog quiet- trust me. It's like a full time job :) That's so funny that Misty came out of the pen- looks like you're getting some really confident dogs that are coming out of their shells! Clicker and agility training really do help. Hope Oreo gets better very quickly!

Nat said...

I can't even imagine how hard it would be to keep Wall-e calm! Hope Oreo heals soon!

Ally Lifewithally said...

I just love reading about your dogs ~ Ally x

Kathy said...

I feel for ya....That is why we had to wall off the couches and bed, I would have Breeze on a leash and we were walking past and BOING, before I knew it she was jumping up. We end up being on these restrictions a lot so I automatically go around and wall things off, we do LOTS of walks, I let Breeze out of the crate and sort of manage quickly so she doesnt start jumping, LOL, it is hard when they are not used to that ;-(. Hopefully it will not be much longer.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sara - here are a couple ideas for your next double dog trick -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuOEGKIck84&feature=sub

Pretty cool, huh?

Diana said...

I feel for you. You are trying to stop them from jumping and they jump anyway and then you get stressed out. Ugh! If you can, try putting gates up into smaller areas. Like if you gate just the den and he cant go anywhere else. Try not to worry to much and just do the best you can. Diana

Sam said...

I can just see Oreo now - bouncing all over the place, trying to get your attention so you can play fun games! Hey, at least he's feeling better, even if he has to still take it easy for a while. You'd rather see him like this than all mopey and hurt, right?

Can't wait to see him running agility again!

Sara said...

Ricky, those were some GREAT ideas. What a cute video. I have been teaching Oreo "backwards circle" this week.

Diana, I do have some gates and stuff from when Oreo was a puppy somewhere in the basement. That's a good idea.