Saturday, January 23, 2010

tunnel snooker

Our league runs went well today. Oreo didn't go around any obstacles at all today! I thought that was a sign of improvement.

However, during our standard run, his head was like a bobble head. He noticed everyone, and turned and looked. Therefore, we didn't run the straightest line, because he wasn't focused completely on me. Amazingly, he did the course perfectly. I did give him at least 5-6 treats throughout the 14 obstacles course, which I had planned to do, even if he had been focused.

I didn't get that run videoed, as I knew it would be a lot of stopping for treats.

Next up tunnel snooker! I hoped all Oreo's rubber necking would be out of his system and I could run this course for points. I really wanted to try this game out. However, I did not have a back up plan if something went wrong in our opening. I'm a little fuzzy on the rules if something doesn't go according to planned.

Oreo never lets me down though! Right?

Right.

We got off to a rough start at the first tunnel. We had some confusion on the start line, the scribe was motioning to me, and it was so loud I couldn't understand her. I didn't realize we had to be behind a line. I thought I could just be at the obstacle. Finally, I figured out what she was saying, but it threw my game off.

I think we cheated a bit, because I'm pretty sure I carried Oreo over the line, then we ran into each other.

After that, Oreo ran great. He had two head turns, but other than that he was focused, and we finished the whole course. I may be wrong, correct me please, but I believe we got 41 points!

Here is the map, you can click on it to make it bigger, I drew in our path for the opening, after the "6" jump, we did the closing, which is sequence 2,3,4,5,6,7 for newbies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFfXLwJB_Xw

13 comments:

Dawn said...

Nice job, though I am confused. I'll make the rules bigger and read them! LOL! I only saw one head bobble on Oreo, he's such a brave boy to run when he's kinda wanting to look to see what's out there! Guess that means he trusts his Mom!

Ludo van Doggy said...

It seemed really noisy there. No wonder he was a bit distracted. He did really well though, looked like a fun course.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Great job Sara and Oreo!! Oreo is taking obstacles much faster and more confidently than before - look at that teeter, for instance! I don't know how he does any agility in that room - it's like a noisy elementary school cafeteria at lunchtime! I think it's great that he is able to focus at all under those circumstances!

Diana said...

Well done!! It looked like you guys were having fun. Diana

madcobug said...

Oreo did great. All that noise echoed in the room really bad. He did good to concentrate. Helen

LauraK said...

Great job, sounds like you had a fun day! Still looks confusing as heck to me though :) Someday, I will figure it out, but I haven't really had any need or desire to yet!

Priscilla said...

Well done to both you and Oreo. Looked like fun.

Jules said...

Really nice, Sara! And great teeter, OreO!

betty said...

Proud of you both. It looked really good. Oreo was intent and you were all smiles. Fun to watch.

Sam said...

Thanks for posting the course map. Too bad I only have two tunnels, it would be interesting to set it up and try out some sequences.

I'm really liking this Snooker all of a sudden - my only concern is that Marge might get stressy if the course isn't flowy or we have to move a lot between obstacles. I guess I don't have to worry about that too much at the lower levels, though.

I think Oreo looked great - it was VERY loud there. Well done!

Sara said...

Sam,
I think with our dogs, it is better to opt for a flowy course, than one with the most points. A few people did the teeter in the opening, which was worth 7 points. I wanted to get Oreo moving AWAY form the people. That's one of the reasons why I ran the course I did.

Kathy said...

Sounds like you were really thinking about your course and what was best for Oreo and it looks like it paid off, he looked great, great handling and great dog! That agility league really sounds like such a neat thing, I wish we had one around here.

Brittany said...

I don't understand Snooker yet at all, lol. It looks like you guys were having fun though, and Oreo did really well despite all the noise and distractions.