Tuesday, January 26, 2010

tricky t-day ~playing hoops/take one

I was beginning to think we'd have nothing to show this week for tricky t-day. None of our new tricks have progressed enough to show off.

I bought Oreo a basketball hoop (Jeff had to modify it for us) on Sunday, and video taped Oreo's first experience with the hoop.

We still have a long way to go. For starters, I want to be able to throw him the ball, have him catch (is dribble asking to much?), and dunk it! Then, the possibilities are endless. Think of the alley oops, and then I could teach him lay ups with his paws.....

This video is more of a blooper reel. I don't think Oreo really gets the concept yet. I didn't feel that "aha" moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zCeIENKCMk

At least we have a hoop (found on a bottom shelf at Target, on clearance). I had been using a paper bowl with the bottom cut out. Jeff came home one night and saw the bowl sitting on the table. He said, "Oh boy, should I ask what that is? What? Are you teaching Oreo to shoot baskets?"

Boy, does he know me well or what?

Oreo has made progress on this trick since we shot this video on Sunday afternoon. Hopefully in a month or two, Oreo will be able to show off some spectacular Jordanesque moves. Here is his first slam dunk (although Jeff is telling me it is an alley oop, tells you how much I know).

Theo & Miles....this one's for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy2ELFlIW94

14 comments:

betty said...

Oreo's Slam Dunk is getting real good. The Saints Alex Franklin may stop over to shoot some hoops with your boy.

Diana said...

Love the intsant replay. Oreo is very funny. "I know Im suppose to do something with this object." He is very cute. Diana

Joan said...

Good Job Oreo!!!

Misty will surprise you by learning this trick from just watching you, the ball, the hoop, the food and Oreo. No trying to get into the hoop, no praying in the hoop, no jumping over the hoop, no circling the hoop...Misty will get the idea...ball in hoop, Misty gets treat.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Oreo caught the ball and slam dunked it into the basket!!! Amazing! I am glad you showed the instant replay because I missed the catch the first time!

But the first video is priceless - mom was laughing so hard with tears streaming down her face at Oreo putting his head in the basket and waiting to see if that was the trick you wanted. Too cute!

Jules said...

Wow, That is such a great idea for a trick. I can't wait to see the finished product!

BTW, this is the first time I have noticed Oreo's neat little white spots on his rump and that he appears more petite than Misty!

Mandy said...

I love it when Oreo just sticks his head in the basket! haha! Thanks for sharing. I come over here every day from Dad's Tomato Garden, and it's always very uplifting.

Thanks so much!

madcobug said...

That was so funny that I sat here and giggled. He did good on the last video. I was also wondering if Misty could learn that trick. Helen

Priscilla said...

I love the way Oreo dunked the ball in. He's so clever. Thanks for sharing the replay, an amazing trick!

Lian said...

WOW! Love That! Brilliant!!

Ludo van Doggy said...

Well done Oreo!
Him putting his head in the basked made me laugh so much! Bless him, I loved how he kept spitting the ball out impatiently like he was thinking 'why do you keep giving me that, I'm trying to do a trick here!'

Sam said...

That is awesome! Based on the slam dunk, I'd say you're off to great progress.

I'm tempted to go out and buy one for Marge now..

the new hip dad said...

the real question is how aunt betty knows about alex franklin.

AC said...

I needed a good laugh! That was a great video. I've been reading for awhile and love the work you do with your dogs!

Brittany said...

Lol, I love him sticking his head in the hoop! I am sure he will get the idea eventually.