Friday, January 1, 2010

run thru

Went out on New Year's Eve to do a run thru at our trial site. Talk about being in the middle of nowhere. If I hadn't had GPS, I never would have seen the road to turn.

However, the facility is gorgeous! Wow, wish it was my backyard.

There were a few nested courses set up. However, all had a startline that ran right past where people were sitting/crating their dogs. I knew I didn't want to start in a place that would be scary. I came up with my own plan where I could start right down the middle of the building, and hit the scary spot later.

I had planned on using treats in the ring, but there was a sign saying "no treats allowed". They didn't want to risk any crumbs being on the floor for the trial. However, I saw a few people using treats to get their dogs over the teeter. I'm not a rule breaker, so I left my treats in my treat bag.

They were running tall to small dogs. I left Oreo in the car until the 16 inch dogs started. I brought him inside to a corner where there were a bunch of shelties. He did some tricks for me, and was generally relaxed. He watched some dogs run, and ate a lot of treats. Oreo seemed to know what he was there for.

Here is our run. He starts off slow, but then seems to gain confidence by the 3rd jump. We had a problem on the A-Frame. Jeff thought he slipped. I think he stopped, because I went too far ahead, and then slipped. I brought him back around, to make sure he did the obstacle at least once before the trial.

The only obstacle we didn't do was the weave poles. I didn't like where they were set up. Not condusive to a smooth flow.

I'm confident now that Oreo's new building jitters are gone, and he'll be ok at the trial on Saturday. Now I'll just have to deal with the scary judge and ring crew!

We're going to practice some drop & go's in the yard today, using Oreo's ball as a reward.

It's supposed to snow tomorrow morning, but I plan on making the trek anyway. That's why I got a car with all wheel drive!

I really feel like our 3 league matches have given Oreo a ton of confidence. I am so glad I had the opportunity to join. And we still have 5 matches to go!

Sheltie lovers MUST go check out this new blog!

12 comments:

madcobug said...

That video was really in fast motion.
Oreo did great. Love that header photo. Helen

Sara said...

It does look like its in fast motion. Youtube must be having issues!

Sara said...

I uploaded it directly to blogger, now it is in real time!

Priscilla said...

Wow. Well done to Oreo. Good luck for the other 5 matches to go!
And thanks for the link haha!!

Kisses from spoilt little Princess Eva

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sara - Oreo did great! You are so smart with him and give him the chance to feel confident in new situations. Good job! Good luck on Saturday and have a safe trip to the trial. Hope the weather isn't too bad! Happy New Year to you guys!

Sam said...

He did wonderfully. Marge would NOT be able to do agility in a building like that. Good job, Oreo! He's really coming along - you're fortunate to have the league as a way to sensitize him to all of this new stuff.

Cool Design Shelties said...

Oreo did great :o) Happy New Year to you, your family and the boys :o)

//Bente

PS: Thanks for all the nice comment on my blog :o)

Kathy said...

That was a great run, Oreo really had a very nice teeter, I thought that was great you took him back and let him be successful on the Aframe. That has to be something else to run in an inside venue with all those noises, I wonder what my dogs would think, they are not very sound sensitive, except Breeze, but that sounds way different then an outdoor trial. Good Luck tomorrow at the trial, and HAPPY NEW YEARS, hope you are having a great day.

Diana said...

You guys look great! I like the way you did some other obstacles before retrying the a-frame. Im sure you all will do great. Diana

Dawn said...

Great job Oreo! How tall is he? I think redoing the A-frame was perfect, so he knows it was OK, and you know it was OK. Confidence is a wonderful thing!

Best wishes for the trial tomorrow. Drive safely! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Thanks for the link to the cute blog! Eva certainly IS a princess, and I should know given I have a princess as well!

Sara said...

Dawn,
Oreo is 14 3/4 inches at the withers. Love that word, withers.

Kathy said...

Oreo looks taller then that, he must just have a magestic prescence in pictures, LOL.