Friday, January 15, 2010

Oreo's foot

Diana was the first one to respond to my last post. She suggested checking Oreo's feet and toes. Of course, I did so right away! Diana has had her own problems with the A-Frame, so I consider her an expert.

Immediately, I thought about the day of our class. About 2 hours before our class, I had taken Oreo & Misty for a walk. One street still had a heavy covering of salt. My street didn't, otherwise I wouldn't have left the house without putting their boots on. At one point in our walk, Oreo stopped walking, and just held his back right foot up in the air. I stopped and rubbed the pads, trying to get any grime out. Then, I had them walk on clean snow the rest of the way. I didn't think much off it, as he seemed to be fine after I cleaned off his foot.

Yesterday, when I checked Oreo's feet, I found three small, white wart/pimple like things on the edge of one of his back right paw pads. Not sure if they had been there before our walk, and got irritated by the salt, or if they were caused by the salt.

He does seem to be holding his weight slightly differently at times.

Since last night, I have been putting Vitamin E on the bumps, then putting his boot on so he doesn't lick it all off. I'll watch the bumps over the weekend, and bring him to the vet if they don't go away.

Guess this could explain the A-Frame avoidance!

Although he can't be in too much discomfort! He's been running around like this!

Thanks to everyone for all your helpful advice! Oreo is a wacko! Who knows what his problem is! I can use all the advice I can get!

11 comments:

Sam said...

Hopefully that's the problem! Feel better soon, Oreo - though you don't seem to be feeling too bad at all. :)

madcobug said...

I hope you found out what the problem was. Get well soon Oreo, you sweet thing. Helen

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Poor Oreo! Sorry his foot is possibly bothering him and hope it heals quickly! The salt people use is terrible - we try to avoid it too but it's nearly impossible. Mom always walks me in snow too to try to clean off my feet. Maybe that doesn't work from Oreo's experience!

Diana said...

I hope its ok. You know, Im just a worrier (sp?). Diana

LauraK said...

I think we're all worriers Diana :) It's hard not to be when you love your puppies so much and have put so much time into training them! Hopefully the bumps go away and he's zooming up and down that A-frame like crazy!

Priscilla said...

I agree with LauraK too that we're all worriers as we all love our pack so much ;)

Get well soon, Oreo. You're a tough!

Sara said...

Diana,
I'm glad you told me to check his feet, otherwise I may never have found those bumps. My first assumption is oreo's problems are stress related.

I worry too. We all do.

Dawn said...

Love the photo, with both of them nose up running as fast as they can! Hope Oreo's bumps go away!

Ludo van Doggy said...

oh dear Oreo. I guess we is lucky that they doesn't salt our village. Glad to see it has not stopped you from running around all crazy. hehe!
~lickies, Ludo

Kathy said...

Hope Oreo's feet are feeling all better soon!

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh, glad you sussed it out! What a clever suggestion!