Thursday, January 28, 2010

my first fall

I feel I must explain yesterday's photos.

Please don't think I dress my dogs in raincoats every time it rains.

I only do so when it is DOWNPOURING and I know they have to GO. And I mean, they've been holding it for 8 hours.

Last night at agility class, I had my first official agility fall. Yes, I've had a few in my backyard, but this was my first one in public.

Oreo and I were at the end of a sequence involving back to back serpentines. I was trying to turn to pull Oreo through a couple jumps to send him on to the weave poles, when I felt myself start to waiver.

"Oh, I'm going down.....I can catch myself.....no I can't....I'm going down...."

Crash. At least I didn't land on my face or any equipment. I got up, sent Oreo to the weaves, and he seemed completely unfazed by the entire incident. Huh. Some teammate.

I'm fine. No physical injuries, but no one was calling my moves "ballerina-like" after that run.

Overall Oreo had a great class. My teacher had set up a course with 6? jumps in a huge circle. We did serpentines and 270's. Each sequence started with a tunnel. I must say, Oreo's drop n' go was super. He really charged into the tunnel.

Oreo did one fly by on the first A-Frame. I think it was stress. It was teeter, tunnel, A-Frame. The teeter was facing the people, then he entered the tunnel heading toward the people. I think he got stressed, and just came toward me, rather than doing the A-Frame.

I brought him back to the teeter, and put myself on the opposite side of the tunnel exit to block the view of the people when he came out. It worked, and he did the A-Frame just fine the rest of the night, no matter what side I was on.

Other than that, Oreo was speedy and really fun to run with.

Misty played escape artist again. I know I said I was going to put the cover on the pen, but I didn't. She's such a goofball.

15 comments:

Sam said...

LOL, I got my first fall over with on the 3rd or 4th week of class. I think I tumbled over a tunnel that was under the Dog Walk.

More and more people are using this drop n' go thing.. it'd be interesting to see if Marge runs differently without a start line stay. Maybe I'll try it next time we practice. It might be a good way to get her amped up at a busy trial.

madcobug said...

I am glad that you didn't hurt yourself. Guess Oreo thought that falling was part of what you were doing. Misty is so cute. Maybe she was just looking for her mama and brother LOL.
Hope your day goes well.
Helen

Dawn said...

Glad you're not hurt. Am thinking, however, that time will really prove that. Or not. Good job to Oreo for getting over the people/A Frame fear factor! And Misty? She just wanted to get in on all the fun!

Joan said...

I hope your bones and muscles are not aching today from the fall. And I know it was a graceful fall. Perhaps Misty noticed your head was not up where it should be and came out for a look. Misty looks like a Hawaiian Princess sitting regally on Oreo's Hawaiian Mat. ..Mom

Ricky the Sheltie said...

First of all - you know you do put raincoats on the dogs every time there is a drop of rain - now, tell the truth - LOL!

Sorry about your fall and glad to know you weren't hurt and Oreo just took it in stride as part of agility. I have seen some spectacular falls in trials - happens to everyone sooner or later.

Glad to know Oreo was so fast and had fun in class!

Diana said...

Yea, we dont realize how heavy we are until we hit the ground. Ouch! Im glad you were ok. Diana

Ally Lifewithally said...

Glad you are OK ~ Pictures of the dogs are beautiful ~ Ally x

Kathy said...

Well, welcome to the ranks of the real agility nuts, you dont really get to be a certified nut until you fall down and still like agility enough to keep going knowing it will probably happen again, LOL.

LauraK said...

Sorry to hear about your fall, I guess at least it wasn't at a trial :) Glad you're ok! I'm just waiting for my turn to fall, haha we've all got it coming sometime!

Nicki said...

I fell in a trial once. Tripped over the corner of the A-frame. My friend missed my run but once she found out I was not hurt she started laughing!

AC said...

Sara, I like how you were able to stand by the tunnel exit to help Oreo not get too stressed by the crowd. Also glad your fall wasn't too bad (even if Oreo didn't rush to your aid=)

Ludo van Doggy said...

oh! Poor you! lol. Glad you didn't hurt yourself. Misty looks soo innocent in that last picture.

Priscilla said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you're feeling better now. Beautiful pictures of Misty.

Greg S said...

Glad you didn't hurt anything!
I have my fall on film as I took a spill during a USDAA Gamblers course. It was outside on grass that was still wet with morning dew. I was not the only person to fall that day!
The best part was I got up and continued, getting the tough gamble. I didn't that one on Youtube :)

Sara said...

I bought a pair of cleats after watching one too many people fall on wet grass at a trial. Those grass stains weren't pretty.