Saturday, January 9, 2010

I need turf

Went out in the cold today for our league match. At least the sun was shining, which boosts your spirits a bit.

This week, they added a lot of ring crew to keep things moving faster. This added to Oreo's stress level, but is good practice.

Our first run I did without treats, and our games run with treats. I only had our non treat run videoed.

Oreo did OK. He dropped a bar. I think he was lacking momentum, because we were moving toward the people. Then, we passed the judge on the way in the tunnel, he noticed the bar setter on the way out, got nervous, and went around a jump. I didn't correct him, and just sent him on to the next obstacle.

Overall, I was happy with the run. Watching the video, we look slow, but I am finding it hard to run on this interlocking rubber matting. I know if I had picked up my own pace, Oreo would have picked up speed too. This run was no where close to the speed we were running in class on Wednesday. Oh, maybe that's because I wasn't running today!

I guess I do better on natural surfaces. The rubber seems too grippy to me. My feet always seem stuck.

Here's our run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnambevW3PI

However, even though I wasn't happy with our speed, my goal for our league matches is exposure to stressors. Oreo certainly had that today. I was glad I opted to treat in our second run. I also remembered to meet/greet him at the end of each tunnel. So, I think it was a good morning of training.

9 comments:

Diana said...

He definitly was different after seeing that ring crew or what ever spooked him. But you all still did very well. Diana

Dawn said...

He's sure not afraid of any of the obstacles...just people!

madcobug said...

He did good but you could see the difference in him today, you could tell he got a little spooked. Helen

Sam said...

The video refuses to load for me due to my ongoing slow-as-molasses internet issue. But, again, I think that jut going with the flow and not correcting Oreo is the absolute right thing to do - the clean runs will come once the confidence is there!

Kathy said...

I would not worry about speed that will come with more and more confidence, Oreo really seems to be building up so much confidence now days, one day you are going to be left in the dust and wondering what happened, LOL. You both looked great, it sounds like a great morning of training, and sounds like you kept the big goal in mind when you did not fix going around the jump, so whoo hooo, sounds like a perfect morning to me ;-), congrats!.

Is there a certain type of shoe that is better for that matting? I have never run on that but I have heard people say it can be hard to get used to.

Sara said...

I don't know if there is a good show for matting. The matting at our trial was completely different from this matting though. That is frustrating in itself.

I think I'm just a klutz, but I'd love to have an excuse to buy a cool new pair of sneakers!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I thought Oreo looked pretty fast - especially at the start line which shows a lot of enthusiasm. Funny how he sees everybody in the ring crew. He'll get over that though.

I see lots of dogs that actually slip on the matting. But mom says she doesn't have trouble running on it (knock on wood!).

Priscilla said...

Good boy, Oreo! Well done!

Ludo van Doggy said...

I think Oreo is doing great! I know what you mean about the surfaces, more for Ludo. When we train indoors he hates the slippery surface and we only have matting in strips. He wont step off the strips. lol