Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tricky T-Day~Sad

I've wanted to teach this trick, where the dog puts his chin on the ground while lying down, to Oreo for over a year. I saw a border collie do it in class once, and he looked so darn cute doing it. It is something dogs do naturally, but putting it on cue has been tough for us! Oreo doesn't like to put his head down when we are training! He likes to be alert and ready!

I gave up for months.

Then, I got my target stick. I use my target stick whenever I want Oreo to put his nose in a particular place and hold it there. We used it for the "stand in the corner" and "say your prayers" tricks. It really works wonders. Misty is still kind of afraid of the target stick. Sometimes she can tolerate it, other times she makes a horrific noise if I move it too close to her.

Sorry the video is fuzzy. We are having a difficult time finding good light to shoot the videos lately. Maybe I need to get myself a shop light (I mean spot light!).

This trick is kinda dull, but I promise we are working on one that I think is really great (of course I am completely biased, since I find everything my dogs do completely charming). Maybe it will be ready by next week....maybe not. We'll see. You'll just have to wait in suspense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBSk44IUd9s

Stay tuned for a special post tomorrow, especially for my Aunt Betty.

12 comments:

betty said...

What a shy cutie! I love it.

Diana said...

Your dogs are so smart. Is that cricket sound your clicker? Diana

Sara said...

Yes, that's my clicker! My clicker plays 4 different tones. That is the only one Misty will tolerate.

madcobug said...

How cute they both were. Oreo is so fast to catch on. Misty did good also. To bad she is afraid of the trainer thingy. Helen

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Love it! Sad is incredibly difficult for me too! I see lots of other dogs naturally lie on the floor with their chin flat on the ground between their feet and mom couldn't get me to do it. Your sad with Oreo and Misty is much better than mine and putting them up on the bed was a great idea!

I thought watching YOUR face was funny, Sara! You try to look sad when you tell Oreo to do sad, but you have a very hard time not smiling! Of course, because he is so darn cute!

Dawn said...

They are SOOOOOOO cute! Sad is so difficult to distinguish from shy...your dogs are very smart!

LauraK said...

how cute! can't wait to see the "really great" one! even though I think they're all great :) Your dogs are so fun to watch!

Sam said...

I love the trick, but I love the cricket clicker (that's a tongue twister) even more!

I've never tried this trick, but now I want a target stick..

Kathy said...

I love that trick, I think it is adorable.

new hip dad said...

love the music. trying to remember the artist. probably late 50s.

Sara said...

Guy Mitchell.

I never heard of him! LOL. Like the tune though. Maybe he was a one hit wonder. Or a one "almost hit"?

Ludo van Doggy said...

I am kinda good at that. When I is bored with what Mum is trying to get me to do I put my head down and will not move. hehe!
We is looking forward to seeing the next video too!
~lickies, Ludo