Tuesday, November 10, 2009

tricky t-day- take a bow

OK, so this isn't an entirely new trick, or the one I had planned for this week.

However, my new tricks aren't video ready yet. The time change has resulted in less trick training time. We're walking instead of training tricks in the morning.

I was inspired by some video footage I caught of Oreo in the yard, and thought I'd show an update of our "bow" trick. This has been a very hard trick to fade the treat lure. In fact, I'm learning that any trick I've taught by a lure is hard to fade. So, I'm trying to use treat luring less and less, now that I am more trick training savvy. LOL.

Anyhow, Oreo will now bow if the treat is in my lap. Still somewhat of a lure, but at least I don't have to hold the treat at his nose anymore.

Hopefully we'll have time to work on some of our new tricks this week and show one next Tuesday.

For today, this is what you get (sorry the lighting wasn't the greatest for this video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prx6BgtfH14

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Great bow, Oreo is so cute, he seemed to have very important business fixing that hole just right, that is so adorable

betty said...

Oreo's sweet bow gets a curtsy from me.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

LOL! Oreo, are you EATING that dirt? It's not food, Oreo, it's not food!

Oreo's bow is really good! The hole digging, not so good! :)

new hip dad said...

where do you find the music?

was he mole hunting?

Dawn said...

Oreo, you make my day!

Ludo van Doggy said...

Oreo you make digging look very fun! I have never had a try, I might now!
Your bow be very good. I has noticed that I find it harder to do luring tricks by myself too.
~lickies, Ludo

Lian said...

Hahaha ... Oreo you made me laugh! Great bow!

Sara said...

hip dad,
I get some music from itunes, other stuff from my own collection.

We didn't have a mole this year! Who knows what oreo was hunting for. Probably one of the many gloves he has buried in the yard.

Honey the Great Dane said...

I get that problem sometimes with Honey and fading the treat...what I find really helpful is having a "free-shaping" session that isn't focusing on new behaviours but actually rewarding known tricks - ie. getting the dogs to offer up different tricks in their repertoire to earn the click - once they have offered a trick once or twice, you stop clicking and wait for them to offer another trick they know - this is really good for making them dissociate from a treat lure and making them spontaneously offer a trick on their own.

Hsin-Yi

Sara said...

That's good advice. Oreo offers the bow a lot when we are trick training.