Sunday, November 29, 2009

snooker

I almost skipped class yesterday. There was a wind advisory. Gusts were 50mph.

I remembered Oreo turning into freak boy last time we were in the agility building on a windy day. He spent most of the time going in/out of the green tunnel.

But....I decided to give it a go anyway.

This is a drop in class, and lots of people had shown up. At least 10 or more dogs. So, it was the most we've seen in the building for a class.

Great...wind noises and scary people!

I walk in the building and see the dreaded snooker flags all over the place. Ack!


My teacher says, "Walk the course if you know how to play, otherwise we'll wait until everyone gets here to do a briefing."

Yea. I'll just wait.

Can I go home now?

I listened, learned, and you know what? Snooker really isn't that hard. I just needed someone to take me through the rules.

I think I know how to play now. I'd even consider signing us up for a snooker run at a trial.

Our first run was a disaster. The building had been nice and quiet. No scary wind noises. Until our turn!

As soon as we started, the wind gusts started shaking the building. Oreo took off, and headed for the door. I called him back, gave him a treat, and forgot all about my snooker strategy. I ran him through the nice, flowy, ending sequence. Made him happy. Done.

On our second try, no wind. I tried out my opening strategy. We were able to complete the course, but made some mistakes, back jumping some of the "reds". It didn't feel that great. Lots of twisting, turning, and running lengths without obstacles. It really slowed us down. However, Oreo did great dealing with the people. The weave poles were set up right in front of everyone, and he did them just fine.

A classmate suggested a smoother line to take in the opening, and asked me to try it. She had noticed that when Oreo is moving forward, he is happy and fast. He just needs a nice, smooth path. So, I gave her strategy a try, even though it had us heading directly toward the scary people.

Wow! What a difference. Oreo was so much happier and faster running a sequence with a nice flow.

That's the most important lesson I learned about snooker. When choosing our opening, we need a nice, smooth path. Forget about points.

We ended class with a nice standard run. Ahhhh. It is so much easier when someone else does the course design for you!

I went home mentally & physically exhausted. The class lasted 2 1/2 hours! Oreo came home wanting to play ball.

Guess what we did?

"Come on Mom. Chase me! Betcha can't catch me!"

8 comments:

madcobug said...

LOL just look who has the energy. Helen

Jules said...

Glad you had such a great class. I love snooker! Is there any NADAC up your way? You might consider trying it if you are looking for courses with lots of flow.

Kathy said...

I almost never win in snookers because everyone else is out there planning the most points and has these choppy courses, my dogs really get sad with the choppy courses so I take the points I can get and make it happier for the pups-guess that is why I like snookers but it is not my favorite ;-). Wow, Oreo...you did terrific working with the scary wind and all those noises and still able to hang in there, whoo hoooo your mom must be so proud of you. Glad you got to play ball when you got home, and I notice in your picture today you are looking very fluffy, such a pretty guy!

Sara said...

Jules,
I'm sure there must be NADAC around. I'll do some searching.

That is one of the reasons I love DOCNA, because their courses always seem to have a nice, smooth flow.

Diana said...

Oreo sounds just like Miley. Oh, only 3 hours at class, Im not tired. Here, throw my toy.
Im exhusted and she is ready to go. LOL Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sounds like Oreo did very well with all the dogs and people and the wind. etc. He really is getting more and more confident all the time! We've never tried snookers but like the idea of making up our own course. Smooth and flowy at the beginning would be great for me!

LauraK said...

I've never been able to figure out snooker! Maybe someday when I have the patience, someone can really explain it to me- but when I watch it, I am SO confused!

Dawn said...

OF COURSE he came home wanting to play ball! LOL!