Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Misty's turn

OK, I had several comments about poor Misty yesterday. I know she looks neglected and underfed in the video. I assure you she is spoiled rotten.

Unfortunately, she is not a fast learner like Oreo. Not sure if it is lack of ability, or the fact that I never really taught her how to learn when she was young. As you will see, she gets very excited about the food, and really can't focus on the task at hand.

Here is a video of where Misty is in the progression of saying her prayers. My electronic clicker stopped working this morning. Apparently, it either doesn't work when the temperature is below freezing or I need new batteries.

Hope this satisfies my Misty Fan Club. I prefer posting accomplished tricks, but this is quite charming too. It's Misty. If you make it all the way to the end (I know it is tortuously long!), she does kinda do the trick. Even surprised me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3HXuBQpvMg

I taught Oreo this trick using a target stick, not a food lure. Misty is afraid of the target stick. So, I had to resort to treats. Maybe that is why it is taking longer for her.

13 comments:

Sam said...

I've often thought about what a challenge it might be to have multiple dogs and find out that they learn differently from one another. Misty looks like she's doing great. I love how much you try to motivate her!

madcobug said...

Awww, how sweet she looks trying her best. I thought she did really great. It probably takes a little longer because of her age. Oreo was so funny doing his circles while you were working with Misty. Helen

Lian said...

As a Misty fan, I think her prayer is so beautiful!

Diana said...

Great job Misty! Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Hurray for Misty! She's doing great! But she's like, "Come on mom! I know I'm a good girl, just give me the treat!"

new hip dad said...

I agree with ricky. forget about the praise, just give me the food.

LauraK said...

That is too cute! Good job Misty!

Our lab is the same way. Riley is such a fast learner, but Homer just gets soooo excited about learning and the reward that he starts whining and offering every behavior he has, and usually it's counter-productive and I have to stop for a while. He can definitely learn things, but it takes a longgg time :)

Dawn said...

I smiled all the way through this! I guess I am a Misty fan! She is so beautiful! But definitely food motivated! Showed my husband this clip because it has them both..He laughed when Oreo seemed to be peaking out of the corner of his eye to see if he'd done it well enough to get his treat!

They are both adorable!

Cool Design Shelties said...

They are both so adorable! Love them both :o) Misty doing great, she's a bit slow compare to Areo but she is also an elderly princess - well done Misty :o)

//Bente

Orable said...

Neglected? Underfed? Slow? I'm laughing so hard... you are a Sheltie! None of these things apply! Have a great weekend!

lickies from Charlie's DogBlog

Josh and Jess said...

Well done Misty! Your New Zealand fan club is proud of you :)

Love, Josh and Jessie

betty said...

Misty did it! That was just wonderful. Oreo's praying amazes me. Love those Shelties.

Honey the Great Dane said...

Well, as a "slow" dog myself, I think you're doing wonderfully, Misty!! :-)

And why is Oreo running around in circles in the background??

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane