Friday, November 20, 2009

I'll be on the couch tonight

Went to agility class on Wednesday night. Had parent-teacher conferences last night.

Two nights out in a row. Boy, will I need some couch time tonight!

Oreo had a great class. We did three different exercises. One involved two back to back pinwheels. I was shocked that I was able to remember the course. Highly unusual for me. We all know I have a tendency to forget things, i.e. courses, poop bags, treat bags...

We also did a really tricky jump sequence with back to back serpentines. Again, I was shocked I remembered the course. Oreo did superb. I was able to do things I hadn't planned on, and he read my cues beautifully.

He's awesome.

I had him and Misty in their playpen, while another dog ran. I was standing near the pen, and noticed Oreo walking in circles around the pen. It was behavior just like he does when I work with Misty at home. Every once in awhile, he would stop and watch the dog running, then go back to circling.

In the past, he has just stood in the pen. I took this as a positive sign. I think he wanted to get back out there!

After our last run, the humans were all talking, Oreo was hanging out by my side on the course. I decided to see what I could get him to do trick wise in front of a small audience. There was music playing, so we did some dance moves. He happily did weaving between my legs, some spins, and some paw raises. I was impressed.

My teacher mentioned that another instructor once taught a freestyle class at our school, and that I should mention it to her next time I see her. If there is enough interest, she thinks she would start a new class.

So, I'll do that next time I see her. I think Oreo would love it.

7 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

So glad you had such a great class! It's amazing that Oreo was circling in his pen and later doing tricks - he must be getting really comfortable there and excited about agility! WooHoo!!!

Dawn said...

Oreo is getting brave! And so much more confident, that's a wonderful thing! He's figuring out that running and playing are fun wherever you are!

Diana said...

Way to go Oreo!! Diana

LauraK said...

How fun! I think you and Oreo would be awesome at freestyle!

Kathy said...

That would be cool and you guys would be great if they had a freestyle class. That sounds like you had a great class, yippie!!! A little couch time sounds like a great thing, hope you guys have a nice, relaxing evening.

Sam said...

Sounds like quite a few good little victories. I know how they can really add up and make you feel good when you're working with an insecure dog.

betty said...

I have a one track mind. At first, I thought the PTO meeting was for Oreo and Misty. They are awesome and loved.