Thursday, October 8, 2009

weeping tree

Last Saturday, I was outside cutting hydrangeas off the tree I had planted in memory of my niece Sabine.

Sabine was my sister's and brother in law, Alan's daughter, and my nephew's twin. She lived less than a month. She died a little over 7 years ago.

I wanted to cut the flowers, before the first frost. Hydrangea are great for drying, and they look pretty all year.

When I went out to the tree with my pruners and basket, the tree was heavy with pink blossoms. I don't think it has ever had so many.

I thought to myself, "The tree looks like it is weeping."
I went inside to get my camera and take a photo.

I was going to post a few photos later that day. However, before I even had a chance to download the photos off my camera, I received a phone call.

The news could not have been worse.

I've been unable to post anything since, because putting it in writing would make it seem too real and I didn't want it to be real.

You can read what happened here.

Was Sabine's tree weeping for her Dad?

Was it foreshadowing our tears to come?

Or were those branches long arms reaching out to comfort us in the days to come?

I don't have any answers, but I thank everyone who has left kind words, messages and prayers. They really meant a lot to me.

21 comments:

Diana said...

Im so sorry. Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Oh Sara, there are no words to express how sorry I am. I've been keeping you and your family in my thoughts and I will continue to do so.

Chris

Jules said...

Sara, I am so, so sorry. Words can nor express my shock and sadness. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Julie

madcobug said...

Sara I am so sorry. He sounds like he was a wonderful compassionate person with such a beautiful smile. Always doing for others.
I am sure he will be missed a tremendously. May God be with you and all your and his families.
Those flowers are beautiful. I have never seen a hydrangea tree before, bushes but not trees. Hugs to you and the family. Helen

Mandy said...

I pray for God's blessings and comfort on your family during this difficult time.

Dawn said...

Oh Sara. I've been thinking about you often these past few days. Though I know in my head what the word tragedy means....my heart kept hoping. I have hugged Katie and rocked on the deck hoping so hard for you and your family. I am so so sorry. Such a loss.

Lian said...

I am so sorry! I am stretching my arms across the ocean to give you a big hug. Thinking of you.

madcobug said...

Sara I have put in a request for prayers for you and the family in my blog. I hope you don't mind.
Helen

Sayit-baldys said...

I PRAY FOR OUR LORD'S COMFORT. sam

Hollie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm praying that God will strengthen & comfort you all in this hard time.

Nicki said...

We are immensely sorry to hear of your loss. Your family continues to be in our prayers.

mary said...

sara, your post is beautiful. i hope sabine and her father are at peace, together. my heart goes out to your family.

Ally Lifewithally said...

Sara I am so sorry to hear your news ~ Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and Prayers ~ Ally x

Nancy said...

Sara,
I came here via Helen. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.
You wrote a very beautiful entry to honor both of them...

Nancy

ADB said...

Sara,
I (too) came via Helen's blog, to offer my sympathies on your sad loss. I wish you and all those affected by Alan's sudden and untimely death strength, and solace in his memories.

Merry'sthoughtshopesdreamsandshemes said...

Sara,
May our Heavenly Father comfort you and hold you and your family close in the coming days.

People like Alan go for unknow reasons and often we never know why. I am so very sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how you must feel.

I come here via Helen's Blog. Your blog is very beautiful, too, by the way. I will be praying for you in the coming days.
xx
Merry

Joyce said...

I am a friend of Helen's and read about your sad loss on her blog...came here to pay my respects and send you my prayers...what a beautiful person he was...and the tree and weeping sure did fit. You have a beautiful blog...may God be with you all, Joyce

Ora said...

Hi..I came here via Helen's blog also...and words just fail me now..but my prayers go for you and the family during this time of loss...God Bless all...hugs from Ora in KY

Mark Kreider said...

I thought I'd stop by after reading Helen's blog. I wish I could hold your hand and share a quiet moment with a cup of tea.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sara - I have just popped over from another blog when I read of your sad loss. You don't know me at all but I have come by a round-a-bout way just to say that you are in my thoughts - you and your whole family at this sad time.

Monae said...

Hello. I came upon your blog from Helen. I am sorry to hear about your loss recently. I am sure that you will be comforted at this time by friends and family. I too would like to offer my condolences. I hope that you are able to find some comfort at this time. Thank you for allowing me to visit. Do take care.