Tuesday, October 13, 2009

tricky t-day - shut the door


I tend to let the dogs out, then go back in the house to get some stuff done. I leave the door open, so the dogs can come back inside when they're ready.

What I often forget to do is go back and shut the door. Therefore, we end up with bugs flying about the house. Plus, now that it is cooling down, it is better to keep the door shut.

I thought, why can't the dogs shut the door behind them? I know they can open doors. They plow through the bedroom door every morning at 7:22AM sharp. Jeff doesn't need an alarm clock. Two dogs who want their cheerios are sufficient.

For the past two weeks, I have been training the dogs to shut a door. Oreo is doing really well. Misty is still on step one. Poor girl.

We even got to work on this trick at the hotel, which was cool. I was surprised Oreo was able to generalize one door from another. The hotel is where Oreo started using his enthusiastic two foot method.

Here is our tricky video for the week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lDliGjNR80

7 comments:

Diana said...

Great job with such a helpful trick. Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Oreo did great with learning how to close the door! Mom has tried to teach me off and on to open the door with a rope hanging on the doorknob and I am not getting it. We keep trying though.

The music was perfect and the double dog scoot and turn making a heart was so cute!

Excellent tricky t-day video!

Dawn said...

watching it without sound, cause you know who is sleeping...so good! Will watch it again tonight when I can play the sound! :)

madcobug said...

I am thinking you can teach Oreo just about anything. He is such a fast learner. Helen

betty said...

Amazing! Great learners need great teachers.

Kathy said...

whooo hoooo! I love that trick, closing the door would be so useful, and the double spin is so cute!

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh, cool trick! I love the "enthusiastic 2 paw method" - hee! hee! :-)

Hsin-Yi
(am feeling very guilty that we have not done a Tricky T Day video in ages but when we have big dance performances coming up, all training time seems to go into rehearsing!)