Friday, October 16, 2009

pinwheels

I set up a pinwheel exercise in the yard, and have been working on it sporadically. I rarely practice pinwheels at home, because they seem easy to me.

However, when we encounter them in class, we often struggle, or I tend to baby Oreo through them. Perhaps, that's because we don't practice!

There was also a set of weave poles in the exercise.

Well, Oreo didn't have many problems with the pinwheel, but we did have some weave pole problems.

Not sure if it was actual problems with weaving, or if it was due to the ground surface conditions. It was wet, with wet leaves on top. I think that may have been part of it. However, I think he was popping out early, because I stopped before the last pole. Usually, I run past the last pole. When we had problems early in the poles, I think it had more to do with the entry not being straight on. New things to work on.

Oreo ran into some weave issues in class this week. My teacher thought it was because the poles were not resting on the dirt floor properly. Oreo is very sensitive to any change in the set up of the poles, especially the part of the equipment that rests on the ground. Makes me want to order a real set of weave poles for home.

Misty also tried the pinwheel. That was interesting. Were my feet most of the problem?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2rHHhwz8WM

If you look closely in the background, you can see the massive treefort our next door neighbor is building. It is only in the beginning stages, but we just know this is going to be huge! The floor itself is already at least 6 feet by 8 feet. This is in addition to the two story victorian playhouse (with porch, Anderson windows, and electricity) and jungle gym, neither of which their children ever use. In fact, the playhouse is in better condition than their actual house, which we have watched slowly fall apart over the past 13 years.

Anyhoo, Jeff is now calling them the "swiss family robinson", and keeps saying we are living amongst the "tree people". I think they are trying to recreate their own Ewok village, from the movie Return of the Jedi.

Wouldn't mind so much, if it all wasn't 10 feet off our property line.

8 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

First of all the treehouse is huge and mom wouldn't want that 10ft from her property either! But as a kid, she would've LOVED it!

The pinwheel stuff went really well. Misty is very cute with her's - funny how she only likes one direction!

I am very sensitive to different weaves too and we have stick in the ground ones at home that I totally love but the ones at classes and trials with the base, not so much. Mom has thought about buying us some real poles too but wants to wait now that AKC might change them to 24" apart. Oreo probably wonders why weaves away from home don't rock back and forth! :)

Josh and Jess said...

Wow, that's one big tree fort alright. Not much fun having that right next to your fence I can imagine. Oreo made us laugh!! He marked the weave poles :)

Diana said...

The first few times Oreo pulled out of the poles early because your body motion is turning before he is done with the poles and pulls him out. Which is a good thing in a way becasue it means you dog is listening to you. The reason he does going one way ( away from us in the video) and not the other is going away he has to wrap around the last pole to exit. Coming toward us in the video, he doesnt need to wrap the last pole. So really its just a proofing issue. You finish the poles no matter what. So you will have to slowly start turning little by little and reward each time he finishes the poles, until you can turn and not pull him out of the poles. (I hope that makes sense). The pinwheels look good. Diana

Dawn said...

Fun to watch! Katie woke up and watched with me! Then she went back to sleep. I think all your running around wore her out!

Sara said...

Diana,
Yes, that makes sense. I'll work on that. I didn't even think about how my body was turning. Thanks. I'm going to go back and watch the video.

madcobug said...

Looked like Oreo did great. Misty did good also but maybe she just needs a little more practice. I hope the kids don't make a lot of racket on that tree fort and disturb the dogs when you are training them. Helen

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Diana is so good at analyzing video - I checked back to see if you got any advice (since I always want/need advice too) and there it is! We're so lucky to have good and knowledgeable blogging friends!

Brittany said...

Oreo looks great! I had to laugh when he marked the poles too. Silly boy!