Thursday, September 24, 2009

when numbers aren't important

Oreo rocked another agility class last night, even though it felt like it was summer again with the warm temperatures. Oreo was fast and on task. He only seemed hesitant at one tunnel entrance, and did one stop to look around on top of the A-Frame. I might stop to look around myself up there. I'm sure it's a gorgeous view! Oh, he also freaked a bit when the trucks, harvesting the corn, drove right by the ring! I thought it was cool, Oreo not so much.

We had some hard sequences last night. Two pinwheels, that overlapped somehow, had me all confused. I don't think I ran a course correctly all night. I really, really need to come up with a way to memorize courses that works for me. I am not a visual learner, and my memorization skills are poor.

You would think, as a special education teacher, I'd have come up with a strategy by now! I think I just haven't put forth the effort, since our trial maps have been so easy in the beginner levels. Time to put an individual education plan in place for myself.

On our last run, I messed up again. I got lost. Oreo didn't. He followed me. My teacher asked if I wanted to run any part again.

I said, "No. Oreo ran fast and was happy. That's all I care about."

She said, "Sometimes the numbers aren't important."

I agree.
Side ways tongue, after first run!
watching the other dogs run
I just couldn't get a cute photo of both dogs at the same time!
We have an all day agility seminar on Sunday. I hope Oreo is acting this enthusiastic that day!

7 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Mom messes up at class sometimes too - but I just follow her like Oreo does you! Glad to hear he had another great class! It's so much fun, isn't it?

Ricky the Sheltie said...

PS. Good luck at the seminar and we will look forward to reading all about it!

LauraK said...

you have such a good attitude when it comes to agility :) sounds like you two are doing well in your training!

that's a cool pen you've got the dogs in, looks very handy!

Diana said...

Sounds like Oreo is getting more comfortable. Have fun at the seminar. Diana

Jules said...

It sounds like you and Oreo are both having more FUN, which is awesome!! And right on to you and your trainer; Sometimes it is easy to push for more when things are going so well.

(BTW, I deleted my previous comment because my spelling was atrocious!)

madcobug said...

Glad that Oreo did good. I like their pen.Cute photos. I hope Oreo does great at the seminar. Helen

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh we TOTALLY agree!! Numbers and ribbons and titles are all not important (although they are nice, of course, when you get them!) - what really matters is doing the best you can, by YOUR standards, and being happy doing it! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane