Tuesday, August 4, 2009

tricky t-day~~~~hoop it up

I saw in this month's Clean Run instructions on how to teach your dog to jump through your arms if you looped them together like a hoop. I think Ricky already knows how to do that trick.

First step....teach your dog to jump through a hoop.

I thought this would be easy. I used to have a hoop attached to jump bars outside. However, when I brought the hoop out of the shed, Oreo acted like he had never seen it in his life. Misty was terrified of the hoop, and kept shirking away from it as though it had teeth.

Dogs are weird.

Clean Run suggested holding the hoop against the wall, and luring your dog through.

I decided to see if Oreo could just figure this out on his own through "freetiming". It took a little while, but he did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBh3xYSg7aE

Now, we move on to the next step....jumping through my arms. I did that by putting a treat loaded target in front of my looped arms. I said the word, "hoop", and Oreo jumped thru. I have my arms backward. The article said to have the arm furthest from your dog as the lower part of your circle. I told myself that rule over and over, but when I watched the video I had my arms wrong the entire time! Duh! It is so clear when you watch yourself which arm is further from the dog, but not so much when you are doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1sgH5Ibx8

Up next, doing it without the target, and seeing how high I can go with my arms.

10 comments:

Dawn said...

Very good! It helps to have long arms! Misty was saying "HEY! I'm not afraid of that hoop anymore either! Give ME a treat Mom!"

Diana said...

Great job! Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

That's awesome! I love how Oreo taught himself how to jump through the hoop! You're right, I do the jump through arms trick but mom doesn't remember how she taught me. We haven't worked on it to get the jump higher. And she thought the "right" arm thing was confusing in the CleanRun article - it makes sense theoretically but it's definitely hard to do!

Cool Design Shelties said...

Well done :o)

//Bente

the hip dad said...

doesn't he jump through a hoop at agility? why is this one different?

Sara said...

agility uses a "tire", which looks bit different.

it is probably why he learned this pretty quick though, especially with the new thin tire we use at sugarbush now, that splits apart for safety. most places are still using ones that resemble a motorcycle tire

Ludo van Doggy said...

This is such a good trick!
I know what you mean about them being terrified of weird things. We do a lot of hoop work at our training class, including one where we all hold a hoop out in a line and the dogs take it in turns jumping through. Ludo wont do it if there are hands on the hoops, they have to hold with their knees for his turn. He'll jump through fine, but we do one where they sit in it and we lift it over them and he wont do that at all.

You have to stop posting such good tricks because I keep wanting to teach them! lol. We're just trying to work on getting him to do his tricks in different places and positions at the moment.
~Dee

Honey the Great Dane said...

Ooh, I agree with Dee - we can't keep up with your great trick ideas (and Honey's 2 brain cells are already smoking as it is!! :-) )

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE watching Oreo teaching himself to jump through the hoop through free-timing - isn't it so wonderful and rewarding when free-timing is successful? (of course, a lot of the time, it isn't!)Funny, I've recently got a hoop for myself but may try it with Honey now! :-)

Well done Oreo!! (and Sara!!)

Hsin-Yi

Bob said...

I'll leave that trick to you Sara, if I tried that with Tommy we would just end up in a big heap on the floor, he doesn't do jumping or agile. Bob.

The OP Pack said...

Honey sent us over to watch. This was so fun to see how you got all of that to happen. Thanks for the lesson.

Tail wags, the OP Pack