Sunday, August 2, 2009

creek

I decided to give Oreo a break from training today, maybe a few days.

We took the dogs on a short hike this morning (before the afternoon rain), down to our local creek. Considering all the rain we've had the past few weeks we thought the water could be quite spectacular.

Jeff brought our "good camera", along with the tripod/lens/filters to try and capture some cool shots. I brought my pocket camera to take my own shots. It is so dark in the woods, especially since it was cloudy, my shots came out pretty bad, so I decided to put my camera in video mode instead. If you like the sound of running water, watch the video, otherwise it is pretty much just video of the dogs walking in the woods. I find them charming to look at, but you may find it really boring home video. LOL.

I know my Dad will like it. We always hike this trail on Father's Day, but he was out of town this year so we didn't get to go. Hopefully next year, Dad and his new hip will be able to make the trek down. There is also a 90 foot waterfall nearby, but we didn't go there today. You have to hike down 90 feet to get to the base on the falls, and I thought the steep trail would have been too treacherous with mud. It is slick in dry weather. Although always worth the trek!

Today, the water was high and raging, but looked rather "dirty". Usually the water is much clearer.
My one OK photo, and then some of Jeff's cool photos:


Doesn't it look magical? I think there must be some fairy houses around here.


You can click on the photos to enlarge, blogger is just not doing these photos justice at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCw5m9pxaI

16 comments:

Diana said...

Those photos are cool. Thanks Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Amazing photos! What a great place to walk!

Josh and Jess said...

Jeff's photos are great :) We have the same problem here... my husbands photos always turn out so much better than mine... it's not fair :)

madcobug said...

Loved the pictures and the video. I thought it was cute the way they kept looking back to see if you were coming. Helen

the hip dad said...

helen should have walked with munchman. he would check back about every five steps. great pictures and what a sound. something good from all the rain

Mom said...

Those photos have a magical glow to them...definitely must be fairies out playing.

Nicki said...

Awesome. I wish I had a "good" camera!

LauraK said...

what kind of camera took the "magical" photos? I'm looking into getting a good camera, and those pictures were beautiful! looks like a really fun place to hike, I wish we had more water around here!

Sara said...

Our "good camera" is a digital Canon EOS Rebel XT. Jeff took these shots with a slow shutter speed to make the water look like that, he also played with the ISO values to get the light just right.

Its a fun camera, and also has preset modes that take great quality photos if you're a novice!

They sell it at Target and Best Buy and such. We got ours on Ebay, with a bunch of lens/filters/tripod/etc. It came out of a camera shop in NYC, so we got a great deal.

Jules said...

Wow, that looks like a BEAUTIFUL hike. I'm jealous!

Cool Design Shelties said...

Great pictures of a great walk by the creek :o)

//Bente

Nicki said...

I may have to check that out. I inherited the photography gene from my dad.

Dawn said...

What a great place to hike with the dogs! That looks like more than a creek to me though. The dogs weren't afraid of the sound?

Sara said...

This area was settled by the Dutch. This batch of water is called the Poestenkill. From what I've read, "kill/skill" in dutch means "creek". We have lots of "kills" around here.

The dogs didn't seem to mind the noise at all.

It was much higher and louder due to the record high rainfall we've had this summer.

Marybeth said...

You are lucky to live in such a beautiful area... I really miss hills and streams. At least we have good peaches and blueberries, but I miss the woods of upstate NY so much!

fiberdoodles said...

These pictures are wonderful!

Sharon