Wednesday, July 15, 2009

weave practice

I've been working Oreo on weave poles for a few minutes each day. I decided I am only going to practice weaves when he is in the mood, energetic, and happy. That way he will get in the habit of only doing them fast.

That is my goal anyway. Keep him happy, speedy, and not over do it. My ultimate goal is to get him going this fast in class. Then, my next goal will be to translate that to a trial.

We do them about 6 times a day. Usually he still wants to do more, but I can see he is getting tired and slowing down, so I stop. Sometimes I use food, and sometimes I use his ball, depending on what he is into at the moment.

Yesterday, I set up a few jumps, to try some different entries.

Here is one I tried on a whim, and was surprised Oreo got it. Why do I always underestimate him????

I went in and got the video camera, and he did it 2 more times, before we packed up for the night. I wanted to add a jump after the poles, but I could see him slowing down. We'll try that today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABS5qQz-n0g


He is going to be in for a surprise at our CPE trials in August when there are only 6 poles....until we get our level 2 title!

12 comments:

Lian said...

WOW! Sara! He is looking really good, fast and enthusiatic!! Well done!

Dawn said...

YEAAAAA Oreo!

Brittany said...

Good job Oreo!! His weaves look great!

Dawn said...

I just happened to scroll down looking for more baby pictures of Oreo and found your "favorite photos." Man there are a lot of beautiful photos there! I'd say, ohhhh, that's my favorite..then ohhhh no, THAT's my favorite! Especially liked the one of Oreo looking out over the smooth water. But then I liked the black and white ones of you and both dogs..and I liked your first sheltie's pictures and I liked the ones of Misty when Oreo was little..and and and and and... thanks for sharing!!

hip dad said...

I liked the work at a distance.

Sara said...

Listen to Dad - using agility terms!

Thanks for noticing!

Greg S said...

He's looking good! I would add some front crosses before and after the poles, as well as a rear cross after he enters to make sure he doesnt pull out.
He had nice speed through them.

Sara said...

Thanks Greg, That is concrete advice I will try!

Diana said...

Wow that looks great. And your dad is right, great distance work. Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Awesome weave entries and distance! Good job!

Honey the Great Dane said...

Wow - am so in awe of doggies who can do weave poles coz I'm useless at them!! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

madcobug said...

He was really fast in that one and never missing a one. Well done. Helen