Tuesday, July 14, 2009

tricky t-day

OK, I am done working on our left/right paws for a while. I don't think Misty is ever going to learn her left from right, no matter how much I work her. She does know I want her to alternate lifting her paws though. When I work with Oreo, she will stand next to me "marching", just hoping I will notice. It is so cute.

So, here is a video hi-lighting the culmination of our "kick line trick", with some ol' favorites thrown in. This is as good as it is going to get....for now. Maybe someday I'll come back to it, but we need a break from the paw discrimination tricks.

Sorry the video is kind of dark, we didn't have good lighting when I shot this.

And yes, Oreo did get kicked in the ribs toward the end. If he wasn't doing all that circling it wouldn't have happened. Sorry, buddy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfLdE83EmSU


We will be trying out "free timing" for next tricky t-day, like Ludo & Dee suggested. That means Oreo kind of gets to make up his own trick. Should be interesting, he is a tricky character.

10 comments:

LauraK said...

great dance routine :) you should start competing in freestyle, oreo seems to enjoy it!

Diana said...

Wow, you guys are great. You should do Freestyle. You can put your routines on video tape and send them into the judges. Ive have been trying forever to get Guiness to do the alternating paw thing. He just doesnt get it. You guys look great! Diana

madcobug said...

Oreo looked really cute. Misty got a few of them right I noticed. Helen

Ludo van Doggy said...

That was fantastic! lol, a bit of polishing and you'll be ready for your freestyle debut.
I love how Oreo does the tricks in the background when you're doing stuff with Misty, so like Ludo, only he's more of a brat and barks and scares Penny.
~Dee

Honey the Great Dane said...

Hey - I thought that was brilliant! I think Misty is doing really well - in fact, I think if you just speed up the timing of your alternating legs, she'll be doing them in time with you. I noticed this with Honey - it's easier for her to "match" me when I'm raising my legs faster than if I pause between them - because she is already anticipating the other leg and also it's a natural thing to do when she puts one paw down to immediately transfer weight and lift the other. I noticed this in your video that Misty was often lifting the other one straight away and then was back to the first one by the time YOU lifted your other leg - which meant that you weren't matching each other.

Anyway, Honey's been doing Paw marches for nearly 2 years now and is only now beginning to distinguish the words properly, I would say - she learnt the alternating paws very quickly but I think she was just going into autopilot once she started (left, right, left, right) - she wasn't really following the cues for each paw...it's only now, after I've taught her some other tricks where she is only asked for a certain paw once that she's started to seem to "get it".

I think a break is a good idea anyay - often they seem to come back to it fresher and to have "clicked" in their minds.

Hsin-Yi

Sara said...

Hsin-Yi,
Thank you for the wonderful advice about Misty. I think you are so right about me needing to follow HER lead, rather than making it some sort of "obedience" trick.

I watched some of your freeestyle videos, and you and Honey are amazing!

Marybeth said...

Miles yelled "Good Job Oreo! Good dancing!"

Ricky the Sheltie said...

We absolutely LOVED this video!!!! The music is perfect and the dancing is so cute and good! Sara - you guys are doing a fantastic job with tricky t-day! Definitely you and Oreo should do freestyle! Have you ever seen this freestyle video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5TW_uKSCUA

It is mom's all-time favorite! Check it out!

Dawn said...

This is so much fun to watch! I think you should go for it and try freestyle! And Misty is adorable trying to get involved like that!

Sara said...

Ricky,
That was a great video! It is funny how the description says "very good" performance.

Wonder what you have to do to get a "great" review?