Monday, July 6, 2009

tricky t-day

After a much needed day of rest (the dogs slept most of the day Monday), tricky t-day is here.

This week's trick -----crawl. Still doing it with a lot of luring, otherwise Oreo's butt goes in the air and he does more of a "creep". Guess that could be a new trick!

I also got Misty to do a leg kick with her standing beside me - finally! She is just doing the one leg....for now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3e9SAKgWKI


I analyzed my videos from Sunday's two NQ runs. Oreo's first tunnel mishap was my fault. I started pulling away before Oreo had "committed to the tunnel" like my teacher has always told me not to do. He saw me leaving, so he backed out of the tunnel. I never resend Oreo into obstacles when we train, I just keep going. I don't know why I tried to resend him at the trial. I get so confused about all the rules, and what I am and am not allowed to do. So, I think when I kept trying to get him in that tunnel he knew he messed up, and he lost his confidence. Totally, my fault. Lack of confidence = slow poke dog.

In our second run, he balked at the green tunnel again. This time, he stopped to look behind him. I noticed on the video, that there were people standing nearby with a big dog. I think that unnerved Oreo, and again he lost his confidence. We never did pick up much speed in that run. In hindsight, I should have put myself on the other side of Oreo to make him feel safe, or at least talked to him the whole time.

Then, I watched our runs from Saturday, which I am so proud of! I ran those like I run him in class. That is what I need to do all the time. Do whatever it takes to keep him happy and confident.

What I learned from watching two days of agility trials is that even the best teams have issues. You just have to figure out what is going to work for your dog. Listen, watch, and adjust. Learn from your mistakes & relish your q's, because boy did you earn them!

9 comments:

the hip dad said...

more baseball analogy. they take tapes of hitters when they are going well and then compare them to when they are not to see if they can get back where they want to be. no statistics but same process.

Sara said...

"the hip dad" - is that meant to be a double ententre?

Diana said...

I had to luagh at Oreo and circling. Reminded me of Miley. Nice tricks! Diana

Diana said...

Oops I forgot I wanted to ask you something. Did you get a new camera? Your video looks like HD. Diana

Sara said...

No, I didn't get a new camera - I am dreaming of one though! I keep watching for the prices to come down.

I thought the video looked exceptionally clear too. I think youtube may have upgraded their software, and that's why it looks clearer.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Absolutely love the crawl/creep trick!!! And Misty's leg lift is priceless (especially with Oreo circling around and around)!

All the stuff you say about the trial runs and confidence and everything is so true! It's very difficult to remember what you are and aren't supposed to do and to run like it was a class and not a trial!

Ludo van Doggy said...

Great video!
Love Misty's leg kick. I'm not having much luck teaching Penny paw things. Oreo's circling would make a great freestyle move if you could capture that.

Honey the Great Dane said...

Hi Misty & Oreo,

I just thought I'd pop over to say hello as I'm a member of the Tricky T-Gang too! :-)

I'm not very good with the crawl either...I always stick my bum in the air, although my human thought that was because I'm so big with a deep chest and so mayb I couldn't crawl on my tummy like smaller dogs...

Hee! Hee! I love the bit where Misty is doing her paw trick and Oreo is running around in circles at the same time!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

The FOUR Musketeers said...

So smart you two ! but, Oreo, don't you go tipsy when walking in so many rounds ? BOL !