Tuesday, July 21, 2009

tricky t-day - freetimin'

OK, here is our first stab at freetiming.

Dee and Ludo explained to us that freetiming is where you present your dog an object. Then, you wait for your dog to do something with the the object. Once your dog starts doing something you like, you click/reward and then give it a name.

In clicker terminology, this is called "capturing".

Basically, the dog is coming up with his own trick, instead of you teaching him how to do something.

This is hard for me. The method doesn't fit in with my teaching style at all! With my human students, I am a "step by step" instructor, break everything down. I was vehemently against the "whole language movement", which advocated teaching kids to read organically, by just being near books. It didn't work. Phonics works.

However, Oreo, being as bright as he is, had no problem with freetiming.

Here's what Oreo came up with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQCvPjlkPac


Until I watched the video, I didn't notice Oreo doing the handstand. Otherwise, I would have gone with that (being a former gymnast myself). Maybe I can still get him to do that.
"Aren't I clever?"
I must say, I am having so much fun making these videos! I am creating quite a collection to burn onto a DVD. That way when I am living in a retirement home, I can relive all these fun moments while waiting for the therapy dog's weekly visit!

Of course DVD's will be obsolete by that time- moved on to the landfill with the 8-tracks, records, cassettes, and VHS's! Hopefully, I'll be able to convert them to whatever the latest thing is!

8 comments:

Dad said...

Sara that video is amazing. You are so good at what you do, DAD

the hip dad said...

I was all set to comment that your dvd's would be gone when you beat me to it. I agree with dad, amazing

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I agree with the two dads! Fantastic job of free timing! Oreo is WAY to smart!

Diana said...

Amazing. Diana

Lian said...

that is amazing!

Ludo van Doggy said...

Amazing Oreo! You're a natural!
You has gived Mum a great idea for handstand. We been learning it for ages up against the wall/with books but can't get me to lift both feet at once. BOL
~lickies, Ludo

madcobug said...

I agree with the others. That was fantasic. Smart Oreo. Helen

Dawn said...

Oreo is so quick to figure out how to please you. I think he will run for just about anything because he loves to run! And the laundry basket was fun to watch!