Sunday, July 12, 2009

rude man

I went grocery shopping yesterday. I was walking up an aisle with my cart. Just as I got to the end of an aisle, I almost sideswiped a man who was walking his cart perpendicular to mine. I stopped before we had a collision.

Happens all the time. In fact, it probably happens 2-3 times each trip I make to the grocery store. I'm sure it happens to you as well.

Proper grocery store etiquette when this event occurs:
Each person pushing a cart smiles, and says, "oops, I'm sorry", then continues on their way.

Yesterday, I did my part. The other "gentleman" did not. He did not make eye contact. Did not speak. He didn't even glance toward me. He just continued on his way.

Oh, how it irritated me! How rude!

It is not like he had the "right of way". There is no "right of way" in the grocery store. There are no stop signs! He was just as "at fault" as me.

I thought about it all day. It was the first thing I thought about when I woke up this morning.

I tried to rationalize his actions.

Perhaps rude man was:

a. deaf - but he still could have put his hand up, in a "sorry" motion, and looked at me
b. unable to speak English - but even I know how to apologize in several languages, and if I was visiting a country, I would learn "sorry","please" & "thank you"
c. mad at his wife for sending him to the store, so he hates all women today

I'm going with "c".

If I see this man again I am going to:
a. shower him with kindness
b. give him a lesson in grocery store etiquette
c. ram my cart into his ankles

Circle the choice you think will apply.

OK, I feel better now.

7 comments:

Diana said...

Here , this will make you feel better. I was done food shopping and going to load the food from my cart into the trunk of my van. The back of the van is full of dog stuff so I was pulling on a soft crate to move it. My hand slipped and I punched myself in the nose. Its funny now, but at the time it really hurt. LoL Diana

Sara said...

OK, that's funny Diana! Unfortunately, it sounds like something I would do. LOL.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Well, I think the rude guy's problem was "c" - also men don't know the rules of etiquette in the grocery store (or they know the rules but they don't care to be bothered with them). But I think next time you see him you will "shower him with kindness"!

madcobug said...

He was rude all right. I think you should do just as you did the first time that happened with him. Maybe he was just having a bad day but that still doesn't excuse rudeness. Helen

Dawn said...

Sure he didn't have ear buds with music blasting in his ears so he didn't notice you? Otherwise he was rude, but not so unusual to keep you up at night. Heck men are so out of place at the grocery store. Sad isn't it.

I go with Shower Him With Kindness...but I'd want to RAM THE CART INTO HIS ANKLES. However I don't think he'd notice either.

Diana, that's the funniest thing, but I'm sure it hurt. Glad you're laughing now though!

UKBob said...

Hi Sara, I don't know if its a man thing or not in your case I have noticed though that there seems to be more and more people like that around. I was treated the same way myself the other week when out with Tom. This woman obviously had a thing about dog owners and let me know it and all I did was be friendly and say good morning and in return I got an ear full about how it would be better if it weren't for dog owners going past her house. I was mad about that for days afterwards and wished I'd said more to her at the time. Bob

Sara said...

Bob,
I don't think it was a "man thing". I've run unto plenty of polite men at the grocery store.

Maybe it is the failing economy and people are just stressed out.

Still it is unfair to take it out on strangers.