Sunday, July 26, 2009

busy month ahead

I can't believe its almost August!

August is going to be a busy agility month! We are pretty much booked every weekend. This Saturday we will be doing run thrus. Our school is holding a fund raiser for border collie rescue, and there will be all sorts of activities - dock diving, flyball, sheepherding, and of course, agility. It will be good to get some extra practice in, with lots of distractions around!

Then, we have two CPE trials and one DOCNA trial. Our first CPE trial is going to be big. The trial is full, and there will be two rings. That means there will be 500 runs in one day! Wow.

Oh yea, we're also going on vacation for a week.

Today, I began making meatballs so I could stock up for these events! Oreo expects to be well rewarded for all his hard work. Misty expects to be rewarded for looking pretty and being patient.

Funny, I make the dogs homemade meatballs, but I buy Jeff and me the premade/frozen kind.

Here is my recipe if anyone wants to give their dog an extra special reward:

1lb of ground turkey (sometimes I use bison meat instead)
2 eggs
1/4 cup grated romano cheese (parmesan works too)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbls basil
1 tbls parsley
1/4 cup bread crumbs

Mix together (I use an electric mixer). Then, scoop out by tablespoon onto a cookie tray. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

I line my cookie tray with foil, for easy clean up. I also have a tbls size cookie scoop that makes this process go super fast. By the time the oven is heated, I am done mixing and scooping.


before baking

This recipe makes about 45-50 meatballs, which can then be broken into smaller pieces too, for rapid succession rewarding (so dog doesn't swallow it whole!).

after!

I freeze them, and bring them to the agility field frozen. That way, I know they are fresh in the summer heat. They thaw out pretty quick in your hand/pocket.


Oreo wasn't nearly as exuberant in this video as in his dinner & cookie dance, but this was a LONG wait for him.

4 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Gosh you put the tray of meatballs so close to the edge of the counter - I know Oreo could've jumped up there if he weren't such a good boy. But he wore a track in the floor instead!

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I usually get boiled chicken (which I love) but maybe mom will be nice enough to make me meatballs some day!

Know what my current favorite agility treat is? Watermelon (but it's too messy for mom to use any where other than the backyard)!

Diana said...

Thanks for the recipe. I dont like to cook, but I have to for my kids. Maybe one day Ill try this. Diana

Ludo van Doggy said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love how Oreo circles!

LauraK said...

I made your meatballs for Homer's birthday and the dogs loved them! thanks for sharing!