Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tricky T-Day

Photobucket


It has been raining a lot around here. So, we've had a lot of time to practice our indoor tricks. Ludo requested that we work on "paw" tricks this week.

Oreo and I have been working diligently on his "criss cross trick". Yes, I know you've all seen Oreo cross his paws. Even cross them while he begs. Oreo crosses his paw almost as much as he sits, in hope of getting a treat. Crossed paws have become a default behavior for him. If I don't give him a treat for sitting, he goes immediately into a down position and crosses his paws.

Today, you will see Oreo cross his OTHER paw! This was quite a challenge. Basically, I had to teach Oreo his left foot from his right foot. I learned that skill myself in 1st grade. So, I guess Oreo is now as smart as your average 6 year old, and he didn't need a red and yellow ribbon tied to his shoes (therefore he could be smarter!).

Sorry the video is dark, but I shot it on a rainy day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMLJlcrDPl0


Thanks to everyone for all your nice comments about Misty's ears!

8 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I love it!!!! Oreo is so smart and ambidextrous too! I don't know if I will ever be able to do criss and cross!

Diana said...

Very impressive!!!! Diana

Cool Design Shelties said...

He is so cute and such a big charmer :o)

//Bente

Josh and Jess said...

I must admit I've given up teaching Josh how to cross paws... he just didn't get it :) But having seen your video, I may just give it another shot!

Dawn said...

Oreo is so cute! It's like "Whatever you want Mom! Really, is this it, is THIS it? Is it? Is it? How about THIS!"

Ludo van Doggy said...

Wow!! Oreo, you showing me up big time. Don't go giving Mum ideas. I find it hard to do cross paws in the first place, let alone the other way!
Wonderdog!!

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh Oreo - you're so good at this trick!! Am only just starting to learn it - actually, we had to put practise on hold because am practising really hard for my Freestyle competition coming up - but we're gonna get back to it when it's over! I wish I could be so quick and good like you - I sort of put one paw on the other paw but don't actually "cross" over...not really getting it yet...

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

The FOUR Musketeers said...

WOW ! What a smart boy !!!!!