Saturday, June 6, 2009

really tired


When Oreo is really tired, and I mean really tired, he likes to squirm his way under our bed. Sometimes, I don't even know he's there, but usually his tail and nose peek out. Honestly, I don't know how he fits under there, and one of these days he is going to get stuck. I better keep a close eye on his diet!

I took Oreo to class on Wednesday. There was only one other person there. My teacher had set up a long course - 22 obstacles. We did the first 11, then the last 11, and finally put all 22 together. Later, she renumbered the course and we tried something new.

Lots of running! Good thing it has been cool.

Oreo was thrilled to be there. He ran to the ring each time, looking back at me, as if to say, "Hurry up, Mom, it's our turn!". My teacher said, "Wow, what a difference. Do you remember the first day you brought him to the outdoor ring?"

Oh yes, I thought our agility days were over that day.

He did his startline routine. I practiced click/treating when he looked at any distractions, although there weren't many this week. He did look around each time he got on the teeter.

Highlights of the night - Oreo did 12 poles, with no mistakes, every time (and that was at least 5 times), and he wasn't a slow poke on them. We did a beautiful back cross, and Oreo didn't even flinch or glance back, he drove ahead to the next obstacle! I think that was the first time ever for us. That felt awesome.

Trouble spots - obstacle discriminations - tunnel/dogwalk- my fault. I have to get my feet lined up so Oreo knows where to go. Also, we did a jump wrap, and Oreo kept taking the jump a second time. So, I had to work on pulling my body further away from the jump.

Overall, Oreo did awesome. He was fast, made practically no mistakes, and we both had so much fun.

At the end of class, I took Oreo's leash off to put him in the car. Instead of following Misty into the car, Oreo beelined it to the agility ring. Poor thing, wanted to play some more agility. If I was 15 years younger, perhaps I would have run one more course!

We have a CPE trial next Saturday. This will be our first CPE, and our first trial in a new location. I have minimal expectations. Oreo will probably have a lot of trouble with the new setting. I will try, and bring him to the run thrus on Friday, and see if that helps. I only signed us up for two runs. Didn't want to spend a fortune, in case it is a disaster.

The rest of the summer, all of our trials will be held at our school - home court! Yay!

4 comments:

Diana said...

Thats so great about Oreo and the agility ring. Diana

Nicki said...

My Oreo loves to sleep under the bed too. Sad thing is it's so hard for him to get back out now that he's getting older. But I can't convince him to just sleep in the dog bed!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sounds like a great class - we are still working on obstacle discriminations - that's probably a never-ending thing. I did the same thing with wraps when we first tried them in class. Now I'm better at them I think.

madcobug said...

Sounds li8ke he did really great. He looks so cute under the bed. Helen