Monday, June 22, 2009

Misty's ears


Just got back from the vet with Misty.

The vet found a lot of wax resting on one of Misty's eardrums, but no sign of infection. So, she cleaned it out as good as she could. I'll keep cleaning it for the next few days, and then she'll check it again on Monday.

However, she still thinks Misty's hearing is fading, since Misty wasn't responding at all to certain noises she was making.

I'll keep doing some noise making at home, and see how Misty reacts when she is in her regular environment.

Misty also lost another pound since our last visit. So, they are re-checking some blood levels. I still think her weight loss has to do with the food I have her on. It is a weight management diet, because she needs a lot of fiber due to anal gland issues.

Better to be safe and have the blood checked though, especially at her age.

We have been telling Oreo that he needs to be "Misty's ears" now. He needs to let her know when things are going on. I think he is ready to help her out. It's only fair, after all she taught him.

8 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I'm sure Oreo will be up to the task of helping Misty any time she needs it!

Hope you get good news with the blood work!

Diana said...

Well ear wax in the ear canal and certainly on the ear drum itself can effect Hearing. I hope it gets better. Diana

Dawn said...

Bonnie, my previous sheltie lost her hearing when she was about 8 or 9. We didn't notice till one day she ran into the woods and didn't come back when we called. We found her sitting in the middle of the woods scared, and that's when we started noticing she wasn't hearing things. I took her to the vet, they asked why I thought she couldn't hear. She was sitting at my feet. I said, HEY BONNIE, WANT A BISCUIT! and she didn't even look at me. Yep, the vet said, she's deaf. That will be $65.00 please. Well, not exactly like that, they did check the ears, but really there wasn't anything wrong except she couldn't hear.

It turned out to be a good thing in a way though, no more crying during thunder storms, or 4th of July fireworks. She followed hand signles really well, no one but us knew she couldn't hear. She seemed happy enough.

Now I tell Katie that Bonnie was a good dog, but mostly she was a good dog because she couldn't hear! :)

I hope Misty feels OK, that's all that counts, she'll do just fine without hearing if it has to be that way.

Nicki said...

My Oreo is losing his hearing too. He is also very sound sensitive and it has sort of been a blessing. He is much less reactive to thunder now. It's so hard to see them get old. But hearing loss does not seem to bother dogs much.

LauraK said...

sometimes I wonder if our dachshund (who's almost 11) has problems hearing- but I think she's just had a bad case of "selective hearing" her whole life :)

Brittany said...

It is interesting that it came on pretty suddenly. I always imagined dogs going deaf slowly.

I am sure she will be just fine, and will adjust to her new life with selective hearing.

Lian said...

Glad there is nothing serious about Misty's ear. I am sure Oreo will be Misty's ear, he is such a great companion to her.

Rohan Shelties said...

Im sorry that youre girl is losing her hearing; its not even the loss that is tough to bear-its the acknowledgement of the continual aging process. But she, like all of the other amazing dogs out there with "disabilities" will prove great inspiration for everyone she meets. She will not hide, or feel sorry for herself; she will adapt and continue to live happily with her family. Thats what makes dogs so great...they never regret, and no mattre what happens, thier love never changes.
Hope all goes well with her blood work-its tought waiting! (my blog post tomorrow will tell of our own experience last week!!)
Sheltie Hugs,
Sheltie-Mom Jenn, Heidi and Shelby