Monday, June 22, 2009

Can you hear me?

I don't think Misty can hear much anymore. Not sure if this is sudden, or if it has been gradual and we just noticed it now.

She is not responding to her name, or other key words (treat, cheerios, snacktime...) . No head turn, no tail wag. Nothing.

Sometimes, I think she can hear me, but Misty responds so much to our body language, routines, and even what Oreo is doing, I can't tell if she really heard me or just senses what is going on.

If I clap, her ears twitch, but she doesn't seem to know where to look for the sound source.

Hopefully, this is just part of the aging process, but I'm going to bring her to the vet to get her checked out. She is not showing any tell tale signs of an ear infection, i.e. shaking her head, holding her head to the side. Those are the clues Misty has given me in the past when she had an ear infection.

I knew Misty was going to have trouble with her eyesight, but I thought it was a bit early for hearing loss. Munchkin started losing his hearing when he was 13.

Funny thing is, Misty is such a noise sensitive dog, losing some sense of sound may not be a totally bad thing for her! The first fireworks show of the summer at out local ballpark will be coming up in a few days. If Misty's not shaking like a leaf, I'll know for sure that she can't hear.

Usually when we watch a movie with our surround sound on, Misty leaves the room. She can't tolerate the noise. Two nights ago, I noticed she lay at our feet the entire movie. There was even a lot of gun shots going off in the movie. That usually sends her running to the furthest room in the house. My first clue.

Now, I worry that Misty might be scared, because she doesn't know why she can't hear things anymore.

Other than her hearing, Misty is acting just fine. Barking at the neighbors, eating and walking normally. Good signs.

Or, perhaps Misty's hearing is just fine, and she is utilizing that type of hearing men sometimes use -----"selective hearing".

I'll let you know what the doctor says.

3 comments:

Lian said...

Hopefully that is just age. Poor Misty. She is such a sweet girl.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

It is probably just age - hopefully it came on so gradually that she has already done a lot of adapting and so she won't be scared. Poor girl!

Marybeth said...

I hope she isn't scared. I love that girl.