Friday, June 19, 2009

Babci's flowers

It feels like it has been raining here for days. The sun finally came out this afternoon, as my afternoon exam was winding down. I was anxious to get home and see what was going on in my waterlogged garden.

"Babci's flowers" are starting to open. For those who don't know, Babci was my grandmother. She had a minuscule garden in Philadelphia. It was probably 4 feet by 4 feet, in the midst of a concrete alley. In her garden, she grew pretty yellow flowers. She had a small patch of grass in front of her garden, which Babci cut with scissors. That's how small it was. Her own secret garden in the concrete jungle.

When Babci moved to a nursing home, and her house was sold, my mom dug up some of those flowers. Mom brought them to upstate NY, and planted them in her own garden, where they multiplied.

When I bought my house, Mom brought some over. I planted them in my garden, and they have multiplied like rabbits!
Babci's plants are so happy here! I'm so glad my mom thought to keep this piece of her alive and growing. My garden would be so bare, without my sea of yellow.

It's funny, I don't know what these flowers are called. I see them at other people's houses, but I don't ask the name. I just think, "Oh, you have Babci's flowers too."

9 comments:

Cool Design Shelties said...

Don't know the name on these flowers but they are very beautiful - matches blue merle and tricolour :o)

//Bente

Diana said...

They look beautiful. I love yellow flowers. Reminds me of the sun and summer. Diana

Dawn said...

Are they buttercups? Here is a link that describes buttercups: http://www.backyardnature.net/buttrcup.htm

Sara said...

Dawn,
I don't think that's what they are. They are much bigger, but maybe that is my good soil?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sara. I know those as Sundrops.
LaVonne

Sara said...

Well, that name certainly suits them!

dad said...

a little bit of philly in wynantskill. nice to have something that reminds you of her

Marybeth said...

Now I have some too. I hope they spread like yours did!

UKBob said...

Thanks Sara. We're just off for a Chinese meal with the family.