Sunday, May 31, 2009

seminar

OK, I was in a little over my head at this seminar. It was geared toward getting people ready for the CPE nationals, which are next weekend.

Considering we have yet to run in our first CPE trial, most of this stuff was new to us!

However, everyone was very kind, understanding, and willing to answer all my questions (and I had many).

The seminar focused on snooker in the morning and jackpot (gamblers) in the afternoon.

I hadn't read the rules for either. Snooker seemed too complicated, and I knew we weren't ready for jackpot, since it requires distance work.

Oops. Wish I had brought my handbook with me.

I got a crash course in snooker from the instructor while everyone walked the course.

Then, I watched and listened to other people as they walked, and picked up some good tips.

Oreo and I went, and for our first try at snooker, I thought we did OK. We got the first part done, but when we got to the closing sequence, Oreo popped out of the weave poles.

Overall though, I thought we did OK, considering how clueless I was going in.

The instructor said, "Look out, she is going to be a hard one to beat once she gets going in CPE."

That was cool.

Our second snooker didn't go so well. It was much trickier. I think I only got to number 3 on the closing sequence.

The instructor wanted me to click/treat every time Oreo looked at a distraction (dog/bar setter/her) and then looked back at me. She thinks that will help with his confidence.

I think that is great advice, but hard for me to do! I hate to stop the flow once we get going on a sequence. However, in the long run, I'm sure it will help Oreo's confidence and make him a faster dog, especially in trials.

After lunch, we did the jackpot(gamblers) course. I knew this would not be easy for us, no matter how much work we'd done on distance training in the backyard.

Our first run, Oreo did none of the "gamble", and the instructor said, "I think he's just not ready for this yet."

Our second turn, I decided to try and send him through part of the gamble, a tunnel which was relatively close to the line (the black squared 3 in the diagram below). Oreo went in, and I clicked and treated for that. The next part was to get on the table to stop the clock.

Oreo was at my hand for his treat, when the instructor said, "See if you can send him to the table."

Boy, the table seemed really far away from the line.

I said, "Oreo table," and put out my two hands in a push like motion.

Well, wouldn't you know it, Oreo ran right to the table and jumped on it just like we practiced at home!

I cheered, everyone cheered. The instructor said, "That dog just did his first distance work!"

Yeah us!

You should have seen Oreo prancing out of the ring.

7 comments:

dad said...

sounds like you had fun and you and oreo had a good learning experience. good day for it. I assume it was outdoors.

Sara said...

It was outside. It poured while we were eating lunch, but other than that the weather was fine, not too hot, not too cold.

Diana said...

Thats sounds like a good seminar. I took a snooker seminar this pass winter. We were awful at it. I dont this we got it once. Diana

Brittany said...

Great seminar! Yay for Oreo doing the distance stuff!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sounds like a really cool seminar! Hurray for Oreo just running out there to the table like he's been doing distance stuff all his life!

Dawn said...

Awww man! What a great learning opportunity for Oreo! He did wonderful! I think it's good to stretch, especially if the instructor is willing to help you a bit, and it sounds like she was!

Ludo van Doggy said...

That's all far too confusing for me!