Tuesday, May 26, 2009

on to the weave poles....

Now that I have made progress on our tunnel skills, I want to speed up our weave poles.

I tried a bunch of things this weekend. I put a target with treats at the end of the weave poles. I threw a treat tube after the weave poles. I threw Oreo's ball and tug toy after the poles.

The treat tube and toys seemed to work best. I made a video of it yesterday, using his tug toy. When I watched the video, I noticed Oreo looking to me to throw his toy, after about the third pole. I know that isn't good. So, I'm going to have to work on my timing.

I decided to go back to working on "driving into the tunnel". Oreo had great speed coming out of the tunnel, but not so great going in. Later in the morning, I set up my new, smaller (6 ft) tunnel. I sent Oreo thru the straight tunnel, by throwing his ball thru the tunnel. This worked really well. His enthusiasm really picked up. The only downfall to this tunnel is it doesn't have straps to stake it down. I am going to have to come up with something to hold it in place. Tunnel bags are quite pricey, but seem relatively easy to make. Maybe that will be a project for me when school ends.

If only Oreo would tunnel this fast during agility:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkMtj_flClo


Since Oreo seems to be in love with this new smaller tunnel, I decided to use that for motivation on speeding up his weave poles today. Oreo is always ready to go when I get home from work. So, this is what I did as soon as I got home today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK9pqmPzUVs


I still have a problem bending over too much. I keep telling myself, "stand up straight", but I don't listen to myself! However, I was happy with his speed. He seemed to pick up speed the closer he got to the tunnel, because he knew his ball was coming. Plus, he wasn't looking at my hand as much as yesterday for the toy.

As usual, I am open to suggestions.

7 comments:

dad said...

wow. he was flying.

Marybeth said...

Still in fleece, I see. Oreo looks great!

Diana said...

It looked fantastic!! I do have tunnel bags for one tunnel. The other tunnel I sometimes weight down with water filled Tide bottles and bungie cords. So a Tide bottle on each side and the bungie cord across the top of the tunnel connecting the two Tide bottles. So that means 4 large Tide bottles. For Guiness I never had to stake the tunnels but Miley banks off the side when she runs a curved tunnel so it really has be be held down. Diana

Diana said...

O,yea. Tunnel holders from clean run are pretty cheap. They are a strap the clicks across the top , but they have to be staked into the ground with camping tent stakes. And after I staked thur the sprinkler system in the back yard, that was no longer an option. LoL Diana

Sara said...

Thanks Diana! I'll look at the stuff on clean run, but I am liking the tide bottle/bungie idea! I'll just have to do a lot of laundry - or ask a co-worker with a lot of kids for their empties!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Gosh - Oreo is getting so fast!!!! Pretty soon it'll be Miley/Sizzle/Oreo fast!! Good job!

Ludo van Doggy said...

Wow! So fast!