Thursday, May 28, 2009

entertainment

I went to agility class last night. It was held indoors, due to rain.

We did two sequences, that involved about 17 obstacles. There were some tricky jump patterns, along with obstacle discriminations (tunnel under the A-Frame).

Two things we haven't done since class moved outside - table and chute- were also set up. Oreo will never really have to do a "table stay" in CPE or DOCNA. However, in some CPE games, to stop the clock, the dog has to jump on the table. Therefore, we should be working on a send to table.

Oreo did great, as usual. My teacher said, "Wow, he's speedy today."

I said, "Really? We've been working on it!"

That was great to hear.

We had no trouble with the obstacle discriminations. However, Oreo never did get the weave poles done right from start to finish. I think it had to do with where they were set up - close to the door. It is hard for Oreo to focus, when he feels he needs to keep an eye on other dogs, people, etc.


On our last sequence, we had a straight line of three jumps, into the closed tunnel. Oreo really gained some speed going over the jumps, and I sent him to the tunnel from the last jump. I purposely stopped my motion to see if he would go on by himself. Oreo never even hesitated, and went barreling into the chute.

That was huge, because the tunnel was facing the door/people/dogs. I was really happy. Speed, and a slight bit of distance.

I have to give kudos to my two classmates this week and their dogs. One dog had his leg removed two months ago, due to cancer. Wow! What resilience animals have. He was so happy to be out there again, running agility, on his three legs! Another dog, had had two broken front legs and was going to be put down, when my classmate paid to have him put back together. His gait is slightly different, but you'd never know it if you weren't looking for it. That dog is so exuberant, and he is just a blast to watch, even if he never takes an obstacle. There was also a lab puppy who picked up all the cones and rearranged them. Guess he wanted to re-number the course. Then, my teacher's dog sang a song when he got on the table.

Agility is so entertaining.

5 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

We had class last night too and I was faster than usual. Glad to hear that your practicing is paying off!

Diana said...

Im glad you had such a great class. And interesting classmate too! How great is that. Diana

Dawn said...

Sounds like so much fun! We haven't been to agility in MONTHS! I hope to get to go to one or two classes next month. Maybe.

dad said...

weekends, weekdays. i sense addiction. not that I have any personal experience.

Ludo van Doggy said...

Go Oreo!
Glad you had a great class!