Wednesday, May 20, 2009

can't throw a ball

I was working on sending Oreo into the tunnel, and it was going really well. So, I decided to see if he would "go on" ahead for some jumps. We had done it in the past, but haven't really been working on it consistently.

Oreo did three jumps, albeit they were close together, on the first try. I think things are finally clicking in Oreo's brain.

I say, "go", Oreo moves ahead. I have been saying "go" even when we just play ball. I say, "go", and he runs out ahead, then I throw the ball.

Here's a short video of the jumps, and a few more of our tunnel work. I tried throwing the ball into the tunnel and after the tunnel, but I really suck at throwing. Sometimes, Oreo would catch the ball while it was in the tunnel, and then he would come back out the wrong way. So, I stopped doing that. Then, I tried throwing the ball as he came out of the tunnel, and that was a disaster. My timing was way off, I would bonk him in the head, or the ball would get lost in the bushes. I can't tell you how much of my day is spent searching for orbees in hosta plants.

Anyway, I went back to putting his ball/treats after the last jump for now, until I can perfect my ball throwing skills. Maybe I should go to some PE classes at my school, to make up for all the ones I skipped (no really, I had another band lesson) while I was in high school, and learn how to throw a ball.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgmfNdQgFsQ

8 comments:

Ludo van Doggy said...

Wow! He's doing really good with that. Especially hard for us shelties as we like to be near our Mums, I know I do!
Sigh, Mum had another stupid day at training where she couldn't get anything right again.
~lickies, Ludo
Pee ess, please tell Oreo his list beed great and I so want to come try some of his plants.

Lian said...

WOW! I can see Oreo has improved his speed already! Well done!

Diana said...

It looks really good. Try rolling the ball, not throwing overhand. Like an underhand toss. That will probably help. You want the dog looking ahead and not up above for the ball. But it still looks really good. Diana

dad said...

when you are throwing the ball, step with your left foot not your right.

Brittany said...

Our instructor told us to place a hoop on the ground and practice throwing the ball/toy into it, from anywhere, with either hand. That may help!

Oreo looks great!

Nicki said...

I throw the toy away from the tunnel as my dog exits, that way they are still building speed coming out of the tunnel and getting the reward of the toy. Eventually they learn to run fast through the tunnel and start looking the toy as they come flying out

Sara said...

Thanks for everyone's tips on my improving my ball skills. I will be trying them all out!

I laughed through the comments though, thinking, now I am listening to advice on how to throw a ball. How did this happen? I thought this was agility, not little league! LOL.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Oreo is faster already! Wow - he sure loves that ball!

The "how to throw a ball" comments crack me up - especially your dad's - I always love your dad's comments!