Monday, April 13, 2009

still waiting for my jumps

I'm still waiting for Jeff to build me my two jumps.

I came home from work last Thursday, Jeff's day off. I found him sitting outside, with the saw, PVC pipe, and other supplies for the jumps.

He said, "You can see I didn't get around to making your jumps yet."

"What's the problem?" I asked.

You see, in what little spare time Jeff has, he designs and builds custom motorcycles. In the past, he has built them for himself, to his liking. Then, driven them around town for a few days, until someone took notice and offered him a lot of money for it.

The bike Jeff is building now is different. He is building it to spec for someone in North Carolina.

The buyer has a plane ticket, and will be here in a few days to pick it up. It is the first time Jeff is working under a time crunch.

Jeff always runs into a snag, just before getting the bike off the lift. The bike usually won't start for some reason.

This time, the bike started right up! Yes!

The problem? No rear brakes.

Yep. It will go, but you'll have to use the Fred Flintstone method to stop.

Jeff had spent his whole day off trying to bleed the brakes, to no avail.

I could see he was completely frustrated. I told him to forget about building the jumps.

For the next few days, Jeff worked on bleeding those brakes. No luck.

He said things like, "He'll just have to take the bike like it is, and I'll just give him money off the price."

I knew he didn't mean what he was saying. Jeff is a perfectionist, especially when it comes to his bikes. He knows his name will be attached to this bike forever, and he takes enormous pride in his work. As he should, Jeff's bikes have been featured in national magazines.

I knew he was losing sleep, and his back was killing him from spending so many hours bent over pumping those brakes.

After we got home from brunch yesterday, Jeff went back into the garage to "try again." He was down there for a few hours.

I hear. "Oh Yeah!"

I breathed a sigh of relief. He must have fixed the problem.

Jeff came upstairs and said, "Yes! Brake fluid just shot up in my eyeball!"

This is good news?

"A ton of air bubbles came out, finally! But now, I'm going to need your help."

Oh no. Not me. This never turns out well. However, I knew he had no other options. It was Easter Sunday, and his goto guy had already said he was busy.

"OK," I said.

All I had to do was push the brake down and hold it, while Jeff turned something.

I can do this.

Then, the questions started.

"Well, how does it feel?"

How does what feel?

"Does it feel better?"

Better than what?

"How does it feel compared to last time?"

I don't remember last time.

"Oh great, there's dog hair in the reservoir!"

Oops.

Finally, my "help" was no longer needed. I was given a kiss, big smile, and a thank you.

Jeff was able to pull the bike off the lift, bring it outside and start it up.

More "Oh Yeah's!"

When Jeff came back upstairs, he said, "That bike is so gorgeous! He is going to love it! I can't wait to go to bed tonight. I am going to sleep good."

First thing this morning, I had my Clean Run magazine out. I said, "You see this sequence? I need 6 jumps. I only have 4."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

a classic. it's tough to find good help these days.

dad

Ricky the Sheltie said...

LOL - your dad's comment was so funny!

Hope Jeff fixes the brakes so he can finally get on to making your jumps!

madcobug said...

I hope Jeff soon get things right so he can build those jumps for you. Helen

Sara said...

The brakes are all fixed now, so maybe on Jeff's next day off he'll be able to build my jumps.

Poor guy, never gets a real day off!

betty said...

You guys are a hoot!

Marybeth said...

I love Jeff stories!