Monday, April 13, 2009

serpentines & threadles

I lined up my four jumps to work on serpentines and threadles today.

Oreo did great on the serpentines. He flew through them, with me on either side. I didn't even have to do much handling at all. I thought, "Wow, he's becoming so independent!"

Perhaps, that was the problem, because when I switched to threadles, he wasn't even looking toward me. He just wanted to keep doing snakes.

I had to resort to saying, "here". Yuck, and I was really bending over.

Maybe I should have done serpentine, threadle, serpentine, threadle, so he wasn't learning a pattern?

Suggestions appreciated.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_vDfh4SbKw

7 comments:

Diana said...

It looked really good to me. You may want to give a treat on the first pull through on the threadles when he comes into you. That will renforce that. But really, I thought there was nothing wrong with it. Diana

Sara said...

Thanks Diana. You made me feel better! I will try treating him on the first pull thru when we practice tomorrow. That should help get him focused on me.

Dawn said...

Well or course I thought it was wonderful!

Nicki said...

Dogs are quick to pattern train. I thnk the key is to make sure your body has a specific cue to indicate when they shold stay out or turn tight and come in. That's something I am working on with Legend-it seems to be helping her. Figuring out what your cues are going to be and then training them and then remembering to use them is the hard part!

Lian said...

They looked really good Sara. Nothing wrong at all. Dog responded to our body language a lot. I am terrible and pull through but when I do my pull through, I turn my body a lot to make the difference to the snake.

madcobug said...

He seemed to be doing good to me. Helen

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Mom didn't have any advice for you - glad to see you did get some advice from other people though. I thought Oreo looked good!