Wednesday, April 15, 2009

oreo is sick


Late yesterday afternoon, Oreo started vomiting white, foamy stuff. After he vomited, he seemed fine. I thought maybe he was just hungry.

I fed him dinner. Which he vomited.

The rest of the evening, he was restless, laying in front of his waterbowl, and generally in a lot of discomfort.

I was ready to bring him to the ER, but I happened to have his annual physical scheduled for the next morning, so I convinced myself to wait it out.

Once I thought he had nothing left to vomit, I gave him some Pepcid AC, and brought him to bed.

He just couldn't get comfortable. He kept walking from room to room, climbing under the bed, scratching the rug, and squirming around.

Finally, I decided to bring out his crate and put him in there for the night. Oreo hasn't slept in a crate since he was a puppy.

Well, he slept in there all night, with just one whimper at midnight. He must really have not been feeling well.

This morning, he seemed a bit livelier. I gave him a small amount of food, and he was able to hold it down. However, he wasn't acting as playful as usual.

The vet thinks he is tinkering on the edge of pancreatitis (his pancreas felt slightly inflamed). So, he is on a diet of boiled chicken and rice for the next 7 days. If Oreo vomits anymore or has trouble sleeping tonight, we will go back for bloodwork tomorrow, and if needed an antibiotic.

I think Oreo is going to be just fine. He already seems much better than last night.

Now, off to the store to stock up on chicken and rice!

7 comments:

Diana said...

Poor Oreo. I hope he is feeling better soon. Diana

Ludo van puppy said...

Get well soon Oreo!
I'll be thinking of you.

Rohan Shelties said...

Oh no! Poor Oreo... The girls and I hope he feels better soon! LOL, I wonder if the Purdue company know that its us, the dog people, who keep them in business! I wonder how many people going to the grocery store to buy chicken today are going to be cooking a bland diet for their babies tonight!
Sending healing thoughts and Sheltie Hugs!
Sheltie-Mom Jenn, Heidi and Shelby

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Oh, Oreo! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well! I hope you feel better today and enjoy your chicken and rice (I always do!)

Josh and Jess said...

Oh poor Oreo!! Please don't let it be pancreatitis :-(

Lian said...

Poor Boy! Hope Oreo is feeling his old self now! Lots of cuddles from all of us here.

Dawn said...

Pancreatitis! That's not good. I hope it isn't that at all!