Saturday, April 25, 2009

boy is it hot

Boy is it hot! A real shock to your system.

Our classes were held outside today. On the course, Oreo took about a minute to get oriented to me, but this week he did not go running around the course randomly. He stayed close by and just looked around. Improvement! Big improvement.

Once Oreo got going he did great! We did 20 obstacle sequences. I think we did at least three courses. We missed a few obstacles each time, but for the most part Oreo was spot on. I made sure to reward more often than I usually would indoors, and I think that really helped.

Here he is watching, and waiting for his turn:


"When is it going to be my turn?"


After his last run, he even ran up to my teacher, something he has never done. I think Oreo was so proud of himself. He ran really quick today. I was having a hard time keeping up with him. Especially through some serpentines. Guess all that work in the backyard came in handy today.

Misty had a hard time dealing with the heat. The sun was almost directly over head for her class. We started with a jump sequence, and she really wasn't into it. Then, she went and peed on the course. A big no, no, but a bunch of other dogs went in the same spot.

By the end of class, all the dogs were panting (and the humans were dripping), so my teacher slowed things down and let the dogs try the full size dogwalk for the first time. The indoor one is not regulation. This one is much higher.

Misty was really tentative the first go round. I was really nervous she was going to bail on the top, so I gave her lots of treats to lure her. Then, she was acting like she had to pee again. So, I brought her out of the ring, where she peed and pooped. I brought her back to the dogwalk and she practically ran across it! Then hit her target like she had been doing the dogwalk for years.

Amazing how much better a dog can feel after they poop!

After Misty's class, I brought Oreo back out on the course. He had been whining and crying a bit in his crate, so I thought he might want to do some more. He did. I was really happy, because there were other dogs and people still in the ring practicing, and he was able to focus on me.

I've been doing running contacts with him in class, even though we work on targets at home. After Misty's class, there was a target on the ground at the end of the dogwalk. Well, Oreo must have seen it, because when I was trying to send him over a jump after the dogwalk, Oreo was stopped in the 2o/2o position, both paws on the target at the end of the dogwalk. He was not going to move until I said, "GO".

I swear sometimes Oreo is training me, not the other way around. Clearly, I was not following the rules of the game, and he was not happy about it. Silly me.

I left feeling much more confident about our trial next weekend. Still, I am going in with minimal expectations. I just want it to be a positive experience. DOCNA allows training in the ring, but if Oreo misses an obstacle, I will just keep going, rather than go back.

While we were having our classes, a baby cow was born at the farm. I had to stop and take a look before leaving. Here he/she is just a couple hours old.

7 comments:

Morgan in Pittsburgh said...

Wowie - you are not kidding about the heat - I AM HOT! - Hey, there is nothing like a full size dog walk is there? King/Queen of the world you are up there! What a cute baby cow - are there sheep there? for herding?
your pal, Morgan

Sara said...

There are sheep. We haven't had a chance to do any herding - but we are hoping to give it a try.

Rohan Shelties said...

LOL, I chuckled when you talked about Misty's potty break =0) Heidi had the same issue yesterday...we were playing chuck-it at the park and she just wasnt running that fast...then she stopped, pooped and felt MUCH better! I had my ball crazy dog back!
Im glad both of your kids are doing so well in agility. I cant tell you how much your posts will mean to you years down the road-its so nice you can write about the journey the whole way through. We love reading them! We miss agility terribly, but can live a little vicariously through your posts =0) I hope we'll get back on course (literally AND figuratively!) some day!
Take care,
Sheltie Hugs,
Sheltie-Mom Jenn, Heidi and Shelby

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Yes, it's definitely too hot for outdoor agility! Sounds like Oreo didn't have a problem with it but I am like Misty! What happened? We went straight into summer this weekend?

Diana said...

I think it must have been hot every where today. Im glad you had fun. Diana

Dawn said...

Sounds like a great day was had by all, especially after Misty had the opportunity to lighten her burden so to speak. I think Oreo is going to LOVE agility, now that he has some confidence! Of course all that hard work payed off! They are both such special dogs. Bet they're sleeping well tonight!

madcobug said...

Sounds like they both did really well. Poor Misty, aging will make the heat worse on a body so it stands to reason it would on a dog also.
Looked like the Jersey milk cow and her baby calf were posing for you. They were beautiful.
Helen