Saturday, March 21, 2009

Seminar One

Just got home from our start line seminar. How was it?

Overwhelming. I think I need a few days to digest it all.

Here's a general idea of what I learned. Dogs need a "Ready, Set, Go", like they do in human races. The ready is to get them in position. The set is to get them to anticipate. The go, well, is to go.

The best piece of advice I got was getting a "ready position". Oreo's is going to be like a peekaboo between my legs. He will go between my legs and sit. This way he will be aligned where I want him to be. Since I have been working him on weaving thru my legs lately, he seemed to get this with no problem.

She gave us a lot of games we can play with our dogs to incorporate into our training. A lot of stuff I already play with Oreo, but have never really seen the correlation to a start line.

Again, I have a lot of digesting to do. Tomorrow, I have my all day handling seminar, so I'll have even more new info to process.

Don't know who will be more exhausted - me or Oreo!

"Ready, Set, Go!"

7 comments:

Diana said...

It sounds like it was great. I love going to seminars. Have fun. Diana

Josh and Jess said...

Enjoy part 2 of seminar :) Sounds like a lot of fun.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Well your seminar is right up our alley - you know we need lots of start line help! So we are trying already to do the ready, set, go thing and I used to line up by sitting between mom's legs but lately she's been running with me. So we will be anxious to hear about day 2 and also hear more once you digest all the information!

Have fun today!

Dawn said...

Hmmm...I tell Katie to get "READY!" when we're playing fetch. I never used it at agility...but she'd know it meant something was going to happen. But I've never used "set" for anything. I think our "ready" is really the set thing...she loves to run, so the GO! was never an issue. Sounds like a fun time, though I think an all day event would be exhausting for both of you! Can't wait to hear all about it.

madcobug said...

Sounds interesting. Oreo is already trained to go with your signal. Now to get him to do the ready, set thing. Good luck. Helen

Brittany said...

It sounds like a great seminar! I can't wait to go to one....eventually!

Ludo van puppy said...

Sounds like you're learning a lot. Hope tomorrow (today?) goes well. The club I've just joined is having one of these type things next week. I think I'll be more confused by the end of it.