Tuesday, March 10, 2009

easy rider

One industry that is apparently recession proof is the pet industry. Thanks mostly to me!

I thought my new car's front seat armrests would prevent Oreo from hopping between the front and back seats. The day I went to check out the baby sheep, I left Oreo and Misty in the car, in the back seat seat. When I came out, Oreo was sitting shotgun, with a big smile on his face.

Oreo couldn't possibly squeeze between the bucket seats. However, since I taught him agility, Oreo believes he can leap over tall buildings. Oreo has jumped from our living room floor over the back of our couch. That should have given me a clue Oreo could jump over the raised arm rests, and make it from the back to the front seats. A few days later, I witnessed this backseat/frontseat leap. It was horrifying, and dangerous.

Therefore, I finally broke down and got him a seat belt.

Here he is wearing it around the house. I think it is very "Harley" like. It is called the "easy rider". Doesn't he look like a tough guy? Usually I buy the dogs much cuter "gear".
I took Oreo for a short ride in the car to try it out. He cried and whimpered at first, but eventually shut up.

Hopefully, he gets used to it. He doesn't have a choice.

7 comments:

Ludo van puppy said...

ah! A seatbelt! I has to wear one of those too and it annoying and when I has it on I has to sit really still with my head all stiff and not move. Well, mum says I can move but I not believe her.
~lickies, Ludo

Diana said...

Im also keeping the pet industry from going under. I keep thinking, I just need this one other thing. Yea, right. My husband is thinking , "famous last words". LOL Diana

Rohan Shelties said...

Great choice with the seat belt. When I had my sedan, I used to keep the girls seatbelted in foam booster seats (so they could see out the windows)in the back seat. One day while driving home from work, a guy pulling out of a side street cut me off. I hit him doing 40mph. I didnt even have time to tap my breaks. I hit him so hard, my small 4-door car BROKE HIS EXPIDITION'S AXLE (I hit him in the driver side front tire). If my girls hadnt been seatbelted, they would have gone right through the windshield and died. Those seatbelts really saved their lives! Now that I drive my "square", they ride in crates, which I think is even safer. (the soft N2N crates, so that a rescue worker can cut through them in an emergency).
Best of luck with the new seat-belt; does Misty have one too? I cant recommend them enough for your "precious cargo"!
Take care,
Sheltie-Hugs,
Sheltie-Mom Jenn, Heidi and Shelby

Dawn said...

I think seat belts are a good idea. Katie rides in a crate in the back, but I worry about that too, it's her regular hard metal crate and I think it could hurt her if we stopped fast. Maybe I should look for the soft kind that Jenn is talking about.

Lian said...

That Harley like seat belt is so cool!!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I have a seat belt but mom is often too lazy to hook it up (I am always so perfect about sitting in my spot in the car - I never move from my place). But mom knows she should be hooking me up.....

Cool Design Shelties said...

Misty ought to have one too ...safety first! Oreo is very smart in his new "easy rider"-seat belt :o)

//Bente