Sunday, February 8, 2009

living room jungle gym

I really wanted to play agility outside with the dogs today, but the snow was very icy. Instead, I started doing some target practice inside, when I got a crazy idea. Why don't I prop the table leaf up against the couch, and see if Misty will do a 2o/2o at an angle?

Well, at first Misty was terrified to even walk the board. However, once she realized there were treats involved, I couldn't get her off the thing. She was quite obsessed, and turned the couch into a jungle gym.

Both Misty and Oreo have decided to do a paw touch for the target. Hmmm, wonder if that has anything to do with the easy button?

Misty still is learning, and I sometimes point to the target for her, which I know is not the best thing to do, but I really think she doesn't know the target is there. Plus, I'm not really all that concerned with Misty having perfect contacts anyway. I just think it is good to keep her brain active learning new things. It's not like dogs can do Sudoku, to keep Alzheimer's at bay.

I just love how enthusiastic Misty was about the whole activity. This video is ridiculous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHQRgdov3o


(side note: on youtube videos, if you press HQ in the right hand corner of the screen you get a higher quality video)
I had fears about Misty not wanting to do the A-Frame in class, but after seeing her today, I think she may be OK with it.

The other day, a co-worker, was complaining about how she came home from parent-teacher night to find her toddler jumping on a "brand new piece of furniture, holding a suitcase." I wonder what she would think about this video!!!

My parents must be missing the snow. They have been in Florida for over a month now. Here is a photo of my dad on the beach, doesn't he look miserable in that sunshine?


I would have asked my Mom permission to post a photo of her on my blog, but I know my dad won't care! He loves to have his photo taken. Kinda like Oreo.

9 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

What was Misty like before you got Oreo? Did she like learning tricks or anything? Nowadays it seems as though she has been reborn! It was a good idea to put the board (leaf) on the couch like that. The three of you looked like you were having a terrific time!

More melting today - maybe I can run and play in the yard tomorrow!

(By the way, we are so jealous of your parents!)

Diana said...

It was warm here today. It got up to 76, woohoo!! It suppose to be warm all week. I hope you all get some warm weather too. Diana

Nicki said...

I think it's great that Misty is doing agility-my Oreo was about 12 when he decided to call it quits in agility, but he still did rally for awhile. Yeah for senior dogs. Cute idea for indoor training.

Josh and Jess said...

Nice to see how enthusiastic they are about training :) Maybe Mama needs to buy tastier treats for us, hehe.

Ludo van puppy said...

Looks like a great fun training time. Misty is doing amazing!
~lickies, Ludo

Dawn said...

Looks like so much fun! Mom sure is creative! Glad to see Misty having fun at it too; it's obvious Oreo will always have fun, now Misty is joining in! Think I'll go try to find my table leaf!

Lian said...

You are so creative! I like that plank on my living room please! Misty and Oreo are so keen to please.

madcobug said...

Those dogs learn so quick. Good for them. Helen

Abby and Aiden said...

We had a hard time with the ice too. Snow is a lot more fun to play in! But luckily it has melted here, we have mud to have fun in now! Very good practicing agility! We usually just jump from couch to couch.